Do we have a plant exchange here ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I was just looking at pictures of some of the flowers that people are posting, and thinking about a plant or seed exchange column. Do you think something like that would work on this forum, and if so, could we do that ? I would like to be able to get seeds or bulbs from someone that had extra, and send some money for shipping, or send plants that I have seeds or bulbs for, the same way.
Any ideas or suggestions on this ?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't think it could work over the whole forum as we're a mixture of Europeans, Americans & Australians.

Plants coming into the EU are restricted, https://www.gov.uk/bringing-food-animals-plants-into-uk/plants and its a dead certainty you couldn't post anything to Jed in Australia, i've seen the Ozzy border control programs.

Seeds might be a possibilty but you'd really need to check the laws about where you're sending them.

Reaction score
Don't think it could work over the whole forum as we're a mixture of Europeans, Americans & Australians.

Plants coming into the EU are restricted, https://www.gov.uk/bringing-food-animals-plants-into-uk/plants and its a dead certainty you couldn't post anything to Jed in Australia, i've seen the Ozzy border control programs.

Seeds might be a possibilty but you'd really need to check the laws about where you're sending them.
Zigs I think we discussed this in another thread ... I think even seeds have to pass through some xray machines and in the process they lose the power to germinate. Let me see if I can get a link to that thread here.
Sorry I couldn't find the thread since I didn't remember the name of the thread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've moved this topic to the feedback section :)

I don't have a problem with members wanting to buy / sell between themselves, as long as the following is taken into account:
  1. Postal & shipping rules and regulations - domestic postage might be fine, but international shipping can be problematic, as zigs rightly points out.
  2. Gardening Forums can take no responsibility for transactions between members, so please take reasonable precautions.
If members would like a forum section for buying and selling then I am happy to set it up :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We were running a seed parcel on the other forum, (within the UK) where members took out what they wanted and then added surplus seeds before posting it on to the next member.

Which was fine till it got lost in the post a few weeks back.:(

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing to stop an exchange within the countries we live in, its a good idea to put your location in your profile if you haven't already done so, then folk can see at a glance where you are.

Currently i have,

Plum Tomato, Roma. 25 Seeds - 50p.

Oxheart Tomato, Cuore Di Bue. 25 Seeds -50p.

Pepper, Rubens. 25 Seeds - 50p. (Big ones for Barbeques type)

UK postage add 50p

Also,

Bridgwater Climbing Beans, 10 for 50p. £1 UK postage on these though as they are wider than 5mm. These are a very rare variety that you won't find in the shops, some say they are the best flavoured bean, ironically i've not tried them as i've been growing to increase the stock.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I hadn't even thought about postage for overseas shipping, and things like that. I guess doing more of a local plant exchange would be a lot more workable, but shipping a few seeds might be doable, even overseas.
It just seemed to me like an idea where we could all share and benefit from things we have extra of to share with people that would like that plant or seed.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No reason it won't work, just that if it goes across borders we'd have to adjust postage and check restrictions.

A friend just sent a few bars of chocolate from the Isle of Man to her Daughter in Canada, it cost £18 for the postage

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Crikey! £18?! That's crazy! I hope it was really good chocolate!!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
A few mars bars and some smarties for the kids

Ask a Question