Do tomatoes go in the fruit, or the vegetable section?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Not only speaking for the tomatoes. Included are peppers, pumpkins, squash ect. They are eating as a vegetable but are technically fruits. Which section is better for these seeded vegetables?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Whenever I visit here I just use the "new posts" view so honestly I barely notice posts by forum.

But I'm with Chuck....tomatoes and such are vegetables to me, and that is how I classify them too. Even though they are technically fruits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Ah. I see. I usually spent 10 minutes figuring where to post them. I'll just classify them as veggies.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
They are a fruit but since it's eaten like a veggie many people consider them veggies. Cucumbers, pumpkins, squash, among others are also fruits but regarded as veggies because of they way they are prepared.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Yes - I classify them as a veggie when it comes to eating and what I pair them with. Wouldn't see me putting some tomato in a fruit salad that's for sure :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They are technically considered a fruit because they have seeds inside of them. However, it is used as a veggie and that's how I use them. @amelia88, you wouldn't dare catch me putting them in a fruit salad, either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
I have always regarded tomatoes as vegetables and have always used them that way. The same goes for pumpkin and cucumbers. I know these are really classified as fruit though. In fact, this is the first time I am hearing of cucumbers as a fruit too. But for me, fruit would be like bananas, oranges, grapefruit, apples, peaches, grapes, etc.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well this is certain the old debate. I know the whole technically it is a fruit thing, but I cannot help but think every logical person out there still considers it a vegetable. I really could not care less about the technical qualities, and I would rather go off of what they taste like to me, and this is a veggie.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We'll be in trouble when it comes to Rhubarb, it's a veg over here but I think the Americans now class it as a fruit :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

Didn't need to google something I already knew Esther :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/09/what-is-rhubarb-fruit-or-vegetable_n_7534888.html

Rhubarb is technically a vegetable, but is legally considered a fruit. In 1947 a New York court declared rhubarb a fruit because it’s most often cooked as one in the United States (and, it’s said, because it was a way to save businesses who imported these stalks from spending additional money on taxes).

Ask a Question