Do they sell already grown container fruit trees ?

Reaction score
Do they sell already grown fruit trees that have already grown and started producing that you could just takeover from there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do they sell already grown fruit trees that have already grown and started producing that you could just takeover from there?
A good nursery will although they are rather expensive. A producing fruit tree in a container is BIG and HEAVY and the hole that has to be dug is not small either.Sometimes you can get a bare root tree that will produce the year it is planted which is a lot cheaper and a LOT less work. Or maybe a dwarf variety will work for you. Not as much production but much less work

Reaction score
A good nursery will although they are rather expensive. A producing fruit tree in a container is BIG and HEAVY and the hole that has to be dug is not small either.Sometimes you can get a bare root tree that will produce the year it is planted which is a lot cheaper and a LOT less work. Or maybe a dwarf variety will work for you. Not as much production but much less work
Around how much are they normally? Also couldn't i just not dig a hole for them and just set them up in my backyard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Around how much are they normally? Also couldn't i just not dig a hole for them and just set them up in my backyard.
A producing tree in a container, I am guessing here, will probably be around $150. Keeping a tree like this in its container is impossible in the long term. It will become root bound. In the short term it is possible but you will have to keep a close eye on the moisture. Container plants tend to need watering more often than plants in the ground. Having said this a lemon or lime tree isn't really a tree. They are more of a bush but can be pruned into a tree and you can get a nice sized Meyers or Ponderosa for about $50 and keep it in a container for a much longer period than say a pear or peach tree which are trees not a bush. On plum trees you normally need two of them. Depending on where you live will determine the type of tree you will get. For instance, apples are very picky as to their climate. Fruit trees really should be in the ground and most are cold hardy except for the citrus. There are a few varieties of satsuma that are cold hardy down to about 18F but most of them will be damaged if not killed if the temp. gets into the low 20's

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The home improvement centers also have them, but they are very expensive; will cost you about $50 to $100 per tree. I hear that this is much easier than trying to start one from a seed.

Reaction score
Depends on the tree, and the nursery you go to, but they shouldn't be too expensive. Also you should note that they're going to need to continue to be potted into larger and larger receptacles as the tree grows. Then again, I believe I've heard of dwarf fruit trees being produced, so that might be something you could look into if you're pushed for space and want a tree to keep in a smaller pot in an apartment or flat.

Reaction score
Where i am from you can get almost every type of potted fruit tree to purchase at the nursery , just that it might be a little costly.

Reaction score
My local garden center has them, but you can't keep an adult fruit tree in a container forever, so hopefully you have a good spot to plant it.
Trees get very big and if the roots of trees are strong enough to tear up a sidewalk, you can bet that those roots can easily bust through a container.

Reaction score
We usually buy ours from a local home store. They range in price depending on how mature you want the actual tree. I have seen them almost $200 for certain varieties. The problem with that is they are huge! Unless you have someone with a big truck it's hard to get them home let alone dig a big enough hole to plant it in. We buy a medium sized normally and have had great luck with fruit production. :) Much easier too.

Hope this helps. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I think so yes. The gardening stores and plant banks here in my country sell some grown fruit trees in containers though they are a bit expensive. I saw hmmm... dragonfruit, atis, and lanzones.

Reaction score
They do and it depends where you go. I would advise going to a well developed nursery for such a tree as they seem to have a larger selection. I have a nice nursery by my house that is pretty awesome and sells trees at all stages, I think they even have some full grown trees that they will plant for you so you don't have to wait years to get fruit. Downside is though they are expensive.

Ask a Question