Do I need to stake my tree?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This is my lemon tree. It’s been growing pretty good but the top is starting to bend. Do I need to stake it? Or should I just let it grow like that?

Attachments

• 898826D1-B752-4168-87D2-EBE989F5F4DE.jpeg
    898826D1-B752-4168-87D2-EBE989F5F4DE.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 296

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I personally would like to bush it up a bit, ie remove the top bit and let the plant expand the girth.. In my opinion, better for the plant. But I'm no expert.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is my lemon tree. It’s been growing pretty good but the top is starting to bend. Do I need to stake it? Or should I just let it grow like that?
Lemons, when grown naturally, are a big bush . To grow a lemon into a "tree" requires a lot of pruning and to keep a lemon tree looking like a tree instead of a tall bush requires even more. If you want this specimen to be a tree you have to start pruning and staking. If you want lemons leave it alone. If this lemon is next to the wall of a house it must be a bush because if pruned into a tree it will mess up the roof.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Agree with Chuck. If it is sheltered, you don't really need to stake it. I personally would like the plant to concentrate its energy bearing flowers and fruit. Nothing much to be gained allowing it to grow tall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Lemons, when grown naturally, are a big bush . To grow a lemon into a "tree" requires a lot of pruning and to keep a lemon tree looking like a tree instead of a tall bush requires even more. If you want this specimen to be a tree you have to start pruning and staking. If you want lemons leave it alone. If this lemon is next to the wall of a house it must be a bush because if pruned into a tree it will mess up the roof.
It’s in the corner of my back yard so no roofs near by. I do want it to fruit so I should just leave it alone and not stake it either correct?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I stake every tree I plant for the first year. Not to straighten it but to ensure that the roots remain stationary and don’t get torn loose during high winds. Root movement can set plants back severely and even if they don’t die, it can retard their growth.

Ask a Question