Do crushed eggshells work to ward off snails?

Reaction score
I'm one of those people who hates killing insects and bugs. I've heard crushed eggshells work well to keep the pesky snails at bay. Apparently if you grind the eggshells down and sprinkle around your plants, the snails soon think twice when the eggshell starts sticking to them? Does anyone know if this really does work?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Had crushed eggshell & ash round the sunflower last night, its gone completely this morning :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I have never tried putting the eggshells out to get rid of slugs, but the minerals in the eggshells would be good for the plants in any case, so it couldn't hurt to at least try this. It seems like the sharp little bits of eggshell would deter slugs and sails from crawling over it.
Another possibility might be to put down diatomaceous earth. This is great for killing bugs, and so maybe it would also kill, or at least deter, snails. One good thing, it is not harmful if your pets lick it, and it would be good for the plants as well, since it is basically fossils of tiny sea creatures.

Reaction score
Had crushed eggshell & ash round the sunflower last night, its gone completely this morning :(

Uh-oh, you might have a new friend that thinks he's found some easy food. But, what eats eggshells and ash? ...keep the windows locked at night. :eek:

Reaction score
Can this really works? In snailery (farming of snails), crushed egg shell can be use as a source of calcium.

Reaction score
Thank you everyone, for all your advice and opinions. It is always a relief if you can find something natural to keep the bugs at bay. I personally hate chemicals and will do anything to avoid them. I will keep trying to find new ideas and ways of resolving insect issues. The bee population is diminishing because of too much chemical spraying. Keep up the good work in finding natural methods!

Reaction score
Yes, crushed eggs shells, coarse sand or salt , coarsely ground coffee grinds all ward off snails. I have had to do this a few times last year and it worked each time I did it. The only thing that is harmful for plants is the salt. I would go easy on it. The rest of the stuff is great for enriching the soil and works wonders for your plants.

Reaction score
It probably works but it's not a long time solution. As another member said you might attract some animals with those.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It did rain, makes the ash less effective against the slugs.

3 plants now destroyed, 3 left, which seem to be growing well. Hopefully the remaining ones will have absorbed the potash from the wood & won't taste good to the slugs now.

Hope the plants survive as they were a gift from another forum member.

Reaction score
It did rain, makes the ash less effective against the slugs.

3 plants now destroyed, 3 left, which seem to be growing well. Hopefully the remaining ones will have absorbed the potash from the wood & won't taste good to the slugs now.

Hope the plants survive as they were a gift from another forum member.
Sorry to hear some of the plants have been eaten. It can be frustrating after all the time and effort put in! At least you are trying natural methods! I personally hate chemicals. I hope those remaining sunflowers bloom into strong healthy flowers! :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ta PC :)

The 3 surviving ones are getting away, but a Rabbit keeps hopping over the fence. Keeping an eye out:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Didn't work for me. I put a "wall" of eggshells around my strawberries and some other plants along with a ring of coffee and the snails still found their way onto my plants. Maybe these were just very determined snails, but my next plan is to try copper. It's supposed to give them a little shock.

Ask a Question