Do Any of the Flowers in Your Garden Signifiy Something Special?

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I first started thinking about planting my garden when I moved in with my boyfriend to a place with a small yard. I figured since the yard was so small, a garden would liven things up a bit. When thinking about what I was going to plant, I took into consideration what flowers meant most to our family. His mother loved yellow roses, so those are for her. His father loves Flannelbushes, so those are for him. Lilacs are my moms favorite, so I had to throw those in for her. What are some of the symbolic flowers, plants, or even fruits and veggies that you have planted in your garden?

Reaction score
I always have geraniums, because my grandmother always had geraniums. I love the red ones the best, and so did she. She had the greatest little "boot room" added on to her house, with windows on all sides, that she used to grow the cuttings she would take each fall. She gathered her own seed as well - I still have poppy and marigold seeds from her garden, which I have used to grow my own marigolds and poppies, but I don't think they are viable anymore, since the last few times I tried to use them I didn't get a single sprout. I inherited them when I was in my 20's, and have carted them all over the country with me, with no consideration for temperature or humidity, so it's not surprising. This year I've finally got a bleeding heart bush growing, which was another of her favorites.

Funnily enough, I don't have any fondness for any of the plants my Mom loves. o_O And, I am the only one in my family, including my Mom, that loves the flowers my grandmother used to grow. Families are strange sometimes, aren't they.

Reaction score
Lilies are my favorite as well as my late gran's favorite. I have rosemary and thyme from my mom's garden.

About the white St Joseph lilies, I only had them for my wedding bouquet. My grandmother and I were very close. She had been waiting for my wedding for months, she adored my then fiance. A month before we wed, she was hospitalized. She went into a coma, and we all thought we were going to lose her then. She came out of it, and the only thing she kept talking about to all her visitors in hospital was my wedding. We asked the doctors if she could come out for the wedding. The church was only about a mile away. They said no. So on my wedding day, we went straight to her after the ceremony. And I gave her my bouquet of lilies.

My grandmother died five days after our wedding. She was truly just waiting for me to get hitched.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My boyfriend is my family and all miniature roses that I grow, were gifts from him...so they're very, very special! When they bloom, I think about him. Every single flower is a new gift from him.
Every plant reminds me of our happiness and love.

Reaction score
Lilies are my favorite as well as my late gran's favorite. I have rosemary and thyme from my mom's garden.

About the white St Joseph lilies, I only had them for my wedding bouquet. My grandmother and I were very close. She had been waiting for my wedding for months, she adored my then fiance. A month before we wed, she was hospitalized. She went into a coma, and we all thought we were going to lose her then. She came out of it, and the only thing she kept talking about to all her visitors in hospital was my wedding. We asked the doctors if she could come out for the wedding. The church was only about a mile away. They said no. So on my wedding day, we went straight to her after the ceremony. And I gave her my bouquet of lilies.

My grandmother died five days after our wedding. She was truly just waiting for me to get hitched.
Wow, that is such a great story. I'm sorry you lost your grandmother, but it was amazing that she waited to see you married before she said goodbye. It's nice that you had something you shared, that you can keep around you to remember her by.

Reaction score
There are four o clock flowers growing around my apartment. One time I read online that four o clock flowers represent a loved one that has passed away from cancer, so I always think of my grandmother when they're in bloom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That's a really interesting concept. I have been developing a garden in a small space for my significant other that has a mix of herbs, flowers, and other edibles. The only meaningful flowers are the ones he has given me as gifts that I have repotted and placed in one of the two gardens at his home or mine. I designed his primarily to be attractive with fragrant blooms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My mom had always had nice Rhododendron bushes in her yard and now I have them in my back deck area. I think if her when I look out the kitchen window. We sometimes talk about our plants on the phone and compare how they are doing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My mother grows rhododendron bushes too:)

A plant that always reminds me of my grandparents is green peas. They used to grow it in their garden when I was a child, because they knew how much I like eating it:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I know this sounds funny but I've seen this when I lived in Los Angeles. Most of the homes in LA have small yards. This one house decorated their yard with vegetable plants. Every spring they planted, every fall when everything was starting to die... they would harvest and replant next spring. Their yard looked awesome. I would never have thought of using my vegetable garden all over my front and back yard as decoration... but it worked and they had fresh vegetables to boot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I have Snapdragons. Mother has Snapdragons. My grandmothers have Snapdragons.

Ask a Question