Diseases Ruin my Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I thought I had a handle of things, and my plants were looking really good. All of a sudden, they've gotten all kind of diseases. I'll have to go back to the drawing board.

20160103_124748_resized.jpg
20160103_124905_resized.jpg
20160103_124923_resized.jpg
20160103_124952_resized.jpg
20160103_125000_resized.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
looks like mostly a nutrient deficiency if i had to guess lack of magnesium, which you can add using either epsom salt or gypsum,peppers and tomatoes love a high n-p-k mixed into the soil

as for the tomato leafs, a good fungicide like "bonide mancozeb" or copper sulfate..
and for blossom rot use "ferti-lome yield booster 10%" as a calcium floral spray works great on peppers as well.
would mix in some 13-13-13 to all of them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Every 2 weeks, I've dissolved 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt and used it to water the plants. I did not think that was the problem. I could increase the dosage at this point since I have nothing to lose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Every 2 weeks, I've dissolved 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt and used it to water the plants. I did not think that was the problem. I could increase the dosage at this point since I have nothing to lose.
Epsom salts are good for certain things but not a mineral deficiency of which your plants are suffering. Your plants are what is called chlorotic. It can be caused by a lack of iron or magnesium, phosphorous and a whole host of other minerals. It can even be caused by lack of nitrogen. How often are you fertilizing? Google tomato chlorosis. Also google ToCV tomato virus.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I fertilized them with fish oils fertilizer every 2 weeks. In addition, I added a table spoon of earth wormcasting every month.
Fish oil fertilizer is a great fertilizer but it does not contain many trace minerals. It is usually about a 4-2-2 ratio on NPK and has very little Magnesium or Iron. Having said that I can't be 100% positive it is a lack of nutrients. Be sure to google ToCV tomato virus. It is a virus that has just began to affect Florida and it is prevalent at this time of year.

When growing in containers you have to feed more than normal because the nutrients will leach out during periods of rain. I believe you fertilized earlier in the year with Medina Gro N Green. That is a good well balanced vegetable fertilizer that has added trace minerals. Fertilize more often with that

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It's magnesium deficiency alright.
Your plants aren't in generous sized pots, and so, if it rains a lot, or if you water as thoroughly as you should, this WILL leech out minerals and nutrients.
Although the deficiency that shows is mg, I'd bet that the problem is more widespread, in terms of nutrients.
Give immediately a soil drench of 1 HANDFUL of Epsom salts per gallon of water, followed at the next 3 waterings, by seaweed extract (which is an excellent, fast-working, re-mineraliser) diluted as per instruction.
a pinch of Dolomite lime (magnesian calcium carbonate) per pot would also help.

Loss of nutrients is, after over-watering, the most common problem with plants, especially fruit plants, grown in pots.
I notice, Ferice, that you live by the sea (if a name like Port St. Lucie is a guide); is there any way you could collect your own seaweed and make your own extract?
The really good stuff is quite expensive, but extremely easy to make.
I collect my own, soak it in water for 3-4 months, and use it. Seaweed picks up all the minerals in the sea, and I have read that it contains over 60 micro-nutrients!
It's good for slow-release potassium too.

Next time, when planting up your tomatoes, your chillies, sweet peppers, or any other fruit-type veg, you could add a handful of volcanic rockdust, which is also an excellent, slow-release remineraliser.

The top plant may have tobacco mosaic virus, and I'd isolate it from the rest just in case, but by far the two most common ways to infect plants are; with infected material in the soil (unlikely because you're a new grower using pots), or infecting the plants by handling them after handling infected tobacco.
So if you don't use tobacco, TMV is possible but unlikely.

I'm not seeing a whole lot wrong with your plants otherwise.

Last edited:

Ask a Question