Diseased tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have attached two photos showing the excretion (approximately 400 - 500mm above surrounding ground level) and a leaf for identification purposes as to the genus of this tree. I would appreciate assistance (only ten years gardening experience so still a novice) on how to deal with this problem.

Any treatments available or is it fait accompli - take it out.

Kindest regards

Derekh

Attachments

• IMG_20210812_1135096.jpg
    IMG_20210812_1135096.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20210812_1135472.jpg
    IMG_20210812_1135472.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 45
Reaction score
Country
United States
The leaf reminds me of Western Sugar Maple (Acer grandidentatum), also known as the Big-tooth Maple. It is native to western North America and don't know how often that species is planted in the U.K. but it certainly possible.

As for the bleeding wound on the tree... Is there only one wound or are there many? If it is just one, it may be an incidental injury that will heal itself. If there are multiple wounds then it is likely a disease. One such disease that comes to mind is Phytophthora ramorum, Sudden Oak Death, which also affects a large number of other species besides oaks. One common symptom of P. ramorum infection is bleeding cankers on the tree's bark. You may want to send your pictures to a local agricultural or horticultural inspector for their opinion.

Ask a Question