Disease on sweet potato slips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. What has happened to my sweet potatp slips and stem? Please offer solutions if you can identify the issue. I just noticed it today and check it dailh! Must be something occurred overnight. The small white bumps on leaves and lower brpwn stem.
20200805_144746.jpg
20200805_144733.jpg
20200805_144739.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi. What has happened to my sweet potatp slips and stem? Please offer solutions if you can identify the issue. I just noticed it today and check it dailh! Must be something occurred overnight. The small white bumps on leaves and lower brpwn stem.
View attachment 69608View attachment 69609View attachment 69610
Although what you have could be insects I don't believe so. I think what is causing this is what is called edema which is a water problem caused by temperature and humidity changes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks. Any clues on fixing it?
If it is edema it should just wash off under a strong stream of water. Other things besides insects can also cause this. Plants sometimes exude mineral salts from the use of synthetic fertilizers. What happens when you rub this stuff. Is it hard and granular or is it soft. I don't think this is a fungal problem and if it is edema or mineral salts that is nothing to worry about. Just to make sure I would spray with Neem Oil in the AM or late PM.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I actually woke up this morning and it was mostly gone. I had just rinsed it and changed the water bowl and put in a more airy room. But I will spray a little neem later. Thank you Chuck.

Ask a Question