Disappointing year for tomatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've had pretty good luck growing a number of different tomato varieties in a couple of raised beds over the last several years. Unfortunately this year has been my least successful year. We had a cool, wet spring here in the Northeast (I live in coastal Connecticut near Long Island Sound) and I start my tomatoes from seed indoors, so everything was delayed this year. Here are a bunch of photos of several of my tomato plants in their various states of being "unwell." I got to the point 4-6 weeks ago when I could no longer tell if I was watering them too much or too little. Any advice on what's gone wrong would be helpful for future years. Thank you!
IMG_2319.JPG
IMG_2321.JPG
IMG_2323.JPG
IMG_2325.JPG
IMG_2333.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had the same problem. My season started out PERFECT. Plenty of rain, correct temperature and then............the weather changed and it all went downhill. The temperature rose to levels where very few blooms set fruit just at the most inopportune time. It got hotter and hotter. I knew then that this years tomato crop was history so I pulled them all up and planted more green beans. The temperatures kept rising until even the beans were stunted. The only excellent crop I had was peppers, both sweet and hot. I had a decent crop of cantaloupes and watermelons but that was it.

I think your problem was similar to mine. You experienced blight or some sort of fungus and in the last picture it looks like a root problem of some sort, possibly grubs. But, next year the game starts again. I am still determined to experience a year where everything I plant has a better than excellent crop. After 60+ years I am starting to think that this is one of lifes impossibilities.

Ask a Question