Different soil types

Reaction score
Sorry for the newbie question...I'm wondering if you're planting vegetables that prefer different types of soil (like carrots and sandy soil, for example) can I just put the carrot-friendly soil in one part of the garden or do I need to somehow physically separate that mini-plot from everything else?

Reaction score
Over time the soils will blend with your natural soil. You can improve the area for growing a particular plant without the need for complete separation but over time that soil will become less effective. For annual veggies like carrots the soil will remain good for a long enough period of time. You will just need to check on it the next season. It is always best to grow the fruits and vegetables that thrive in your natural soil. You may benefit by a trip to a local garden center to find out what is best suited to your area.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If I may be so bold, may I suggest you grow them in a large container, perhaps one with the bottom cut out?
This way, not only will your sandy soil take more time to mix, but since carrot fly aren't actually very good at flying, and cannot get more than two feet (60.9cm) off the ground, if you get one tall enough, you solve two problems at once.

Ask a Question