Did my lavender make it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Hello all! :)
Last year was the first time I tried growing lavender, but I'm not sure if it survived the warm/cold/warm/cold winter we had.
Most of my other perennials such as thyme, sage, lemon and bee balms have started showing new green growth, but I don't see anything on the lavender at all yet.
Having never grown it, I'm not sure if I'm just being impatient, or if it needs replacing. In retrospect, I probably should have done something to winterize it haha!
It's in a pot, and I've attached a picture. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170319_190108.jpg
    20170319_190108.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 265
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I think your plant has had it unfortunately :(

Was it doing ok before winter? Does it have good drainage in the pot? Lavender is pretty hardy, and doesn't usually need winter protection. Maybe you have one of the less hardy varieties though. English lavender is the most tolerant of low temperatures, so if you're looking to replace it then maybe go for that variety instead.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Thanks! I figured it was toast, but wanted to make sure.
It looked great through the summer and fall, and bloomed quite a bit. The pot has pretty large drain holes, and i put a layer of river rock at the bottom before adding the soil.
The plant was a started Bonnie Plant I picked up locally. I think the tag just said Lavender... I don't remember it having a variety listed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It sounds like you have done everything right, so it's a shame it didn't last. Hope your next shrub fares better!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It does look rather dire but I wouldn't toss it out just yet. If you scrape a little of the stem near the base, is it still soft?

Incredibly enough I had oregano come back after a Michigan winter. It looked completely dead, but then started putting out new growth when the weather warmed up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
It does look rather dire but I wouldn't toss it out just yet. If you scrape a little of the stem near the base, is it still soft?

Incredibly enough I had oregano come back after a Michigan winter. It looked completely dead, but then started putting out new growth when the weather warmed up.

Yeah, it does seem softer near the base of the plant. The upper portion of stems definitely break easily.
I was planning on leaving it in there until I start planting out the garden in a couple weeks, so hopefully it will show some signs of life by then :)
Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Not sure about the hot - cold lavender is pretty hardy that way. What about moisture? Lavender generally prefers a drier soil or very well drained soil. How is the drainage in that container?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Not sure about the hot - cold lavender is pretty hardy that way. What about moisture? Lavender generally prefers a drier soil or very well drained soil. How is the drainage in that container?

It's got a couple big drain holes in the bottom, and I put a layer of river rock in the bottom before adding potting mix and some compost. It stayed pretty dry throughout the summer and fall. It dried out quicker than my other pots after raining.
I know there were at least a couple times this winter where it rained a lot and then froze a couple hours later, so that probably didnt help at all.
Beautiful Southern Indiana weather! :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's time to invest in a new one :( it'll be worth it, the scent is worth it! Agree plenty of sharp sand or horticultural grit mixed in with the compost & placed in the sunniest position possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I think it's time to invest in a new one :( it'll be worth it, the scent is worth it! Agree plenty of sharp sand or horticultural grit mixed in with the compost & placed in the sunniest position possible.

Thanks! I didn't even think about adding sand... thats what I put in with my aloe plant, and it's been thriving for a few years now.
I do have the lavender pot in the sunniest location i have. I placed it right next to my south-facing back steps, so it gets absolutely zero shade.

Ask a Question