Dibbling

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I "dibbled" for potatoes today--just digging lightly around the plants with my fingers to see if there was anything developing, and if there was anything, was it big enough to pull and have for supper. I came up with one Kinnebec (first year we've tried these, but they look good so far), and six Red LaSodas. None were bigger than a golf ball, but that is the joy of just out of the ground, tiny potatoes that taste so good!:happy:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Blimey, my International Kidneys are only 2 inches tall :eek:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I call it "robbing" and do it every year. Its great to have the new potatoes for eating...but the downside is reduced production vs what they would gain if left to maturity. I always go for a little robbery in spite of reduced production.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I thought someone said when the flowers have gone over, then the potatoes are ready. Potatoes are so cheap that I don't really bother growing them. Occasionally, I would chuck some into a container if they were organic or of a certain well known breed!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I thought someone said when the flowers have gone over, then the potatoes are ready. Potatoes are so cheap that I don't really bother growing them. Occasionally, I would chuck some into a container if they were organic or of a certain well known breed!

In my long experience with growing potatoes, to get maximum production, harvest after the plant itself falls over and begins to die. This normally happens here starting in mid-May. Its important here to get them out of the ground before Memorial day because they will rot quickly after that.

I average 10 pounds of harvest per 1 pound of seed cuttings....sometimes more, sometimes less. Price has absolutely nothing to do with why I grow them....nor any other garden veggie.

Simply put, I love the taste of new potatoes. Its a taste that you can not get from store bought versions. What we don't eat out of the ground, we can and/or store in a "dry", dark, breezy location. As long as they are properly stored, i.e. never touching each other, they will often keep until the next planting season...but we always eat them before that. I love the taste of new potatoes.

Spray? I never use it on potatoes. I'm very careful to dispose of the tops, rotate the planting row, and use cover crops in the planned location prior to planting seeds. No need to spray...just enjoy new potatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
In my long experience with growing potatoes, to get maximum production, harvest after the plant itself falls over and begins to die. This normally happens here starting in mid-May. Its important here to get them out of the ground before Memorial day because they will rot quickly after that.

I average 10 pounds of harvest per 1 pound of seed cuttings....sometimes more, sometimes less. Price has absolutely nothing to do with why I grow them....nor any other garden veggie.

Simply put, I love the taste of new potatoes. Its a taste that you can not get from store bought versions. What we don't eat out of the ground, we can and/or store in a "dry", dark, breezy location. As long as they are properly stored, i.e. never touching each other, they will often keep until the next planting season...but we always eat them before that. I love the taste of new potatoes.

Spray? I never use it on potatoes. I'm very careful to dispose of the tops, rotate the planting row, and use cover crops in the planned location prior to planting seeds. No need to spray...just enjoy new potatoes.
So you store all of them so no two potatoes are touching? That's gotta take some space? I'm trying to figure it the best way to store them here in the hot humid South.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
So you store all of them so no two potatoes are touching? That's gotta take some space? I'm trying to figure it the best way to store them here in the hot humid South.
Yes, storing puds can be very dodgy. One family was nearly all killed bar one kid because they didn't store their potatoes properly.

Link

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is this a winter crop that is planted in autum and harvested in late spring?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
We store potatoes in crisper drawers of the fridge, canning jars, and shed storage.

When stored in open space, it is important that they don't touch each other, have free air circulation, and never washed prior to storage. Here in East Texas, the summers are very long, very hot and very humid, all of which makes it a challenge for successful storage but we are able to have potatoes year around from the spring crop....as well as have a few for seed for the next year's crop.

My system doesn't have the elegance of a Colin construction...but it is very effective, nonetheless. Also it serves as onion storage.
potatoe storage.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefcommander

Latest Threads