Diatomaceous Earth----DE------Organic insect killer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
DE is a natural substance made from the bodies of tiny marine creatures called diatoms. DE is a crystaline form of silica and it is available as food grade, horticultural grade and industrial. For all intents and purposes the food grade and the horticultural grade are identical in the garden. The industrial grade DE has been altered by a heating process that reshapes each little diatom into a sphere shape. This type of DE is used in filtering systems such as your swimming pool or aquaraium and not to be used in the home or garden. Many people us DE as a food additive for their pets and livestock as it is an abrasive and has a very detrimental effect to internal parasites such as tapeworms. DE works well in the Organic Garden when it comes to controlling insects with an exoskeleton. It is an abasive and when it gets onto the insects movable joints, such as a leg joint or ankle joint or where its wings attach this abrasive DE literally grinds a hole thru the hard skeleton and the insect literally bleeds to death. DE has a limited effect on soft bodied insects, larvae and caterpillars and is rendered useless if it becomes even slightly wet. But otherwise a very helpful tool in the Organic Gardners tool box.

Reaction score
Once again Chuck you have not only posted information that is very useful but also educational. Thanks for the post, the more information about organic products that help with pest control the more people are likely to move to organic gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I read something recently that said not to use the DE that is used around pools, though unfortunately I've forgotten why. Seems like a cruel way to control pests in the garden doesn't it? Scratchy stuff (eggshells) for soft-bodied pests didn't work for me last year. So far this year I haven't been plagued with too many pests, maybe because of the cold winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I read something recently that said not to use the DE that is used around pools, though unfortunately I've forgotten why. Seems like a cruel way to control pests in the garden doesn't it? Scratchy stuff (eggshells) for soft-bodied pests didn't work for me last year. So far this year I haven't been plagued with too many pests, maybe because of the cold winter?
The reason not to use the industrial DE in the home or garden is because it has been rendered usless because it is no longer an abrasive. When moistened it becomes almost a solid, thereby enabling it to filter out minute particles suspened in water. When breathed it does the same thing, causing a mass in the lungs.

Cruelty to pest? What are you going to do the next time you catch a big ol'e tomato hornworm having a picnic on a big slicer tomato you have been drooling over for 2 weeks?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The reason not to use the industrial DE in the home or garden is because it has been rendered usless because it is no longer an abrasive. When moistened it becomes almost a solid, thereby enabling it to filter out minute particles suspened in water. When breathed it does the same thing, causing a mass in the lungs.

Cruelty to pest? What are you going to do the next time you catch a big ol'e tomato hornworm having a picnic on a big slicer tomato you have been drooling over for 2 weeks?

That explains it.

I have been fortunate enough to not see any hornworms so far this year, just a few little green cutworms on my dill and cilantro, which I plopped into a bottle of soapy water I keep nearby. It's quick death in my garden, not potential wounding and slow bleeding. Last year I fed the hornworms to a neighbor's turtle. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That explains it.

I have been fortunate enough to not see any hornworms so far this year, just a few little green cutworms on my dill and cilantro, which I plopped into a bottle of soapy water I keep nearby. It's quick death in my garden, not potential wounding and slow bleeding. Last year I fed the hornworms to a neighbor's turtle. :)
Out of over 100 tomato plants so far I have found only 3 hornworms Probably in about a week I will spray Bt and that will take care of them for quite a while. I think that this year we will have to be on the lookout for stinkbugs. I have already found eggs in my squash and normally I wouldn't see any for at least another 3 or 4 weeks.. Oh, and big juicy hornworms are excellent catfish bait.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Out of over 100 tomato plants so far I have found only 3 hornworms Probably in about a week I will spray Bt and that will take care of them for quite a while. I think that this year we will have to be on the lookout for stinkbugs. I have already found eggs in my squash and normally I wouldn't see any for at least another 3 or 4 weeks.. Oh, and big juicy hornworms are excellent catfish bait.

I don't use chemicals in my garden. I just keep a watch out and control bugs by hand. The only thing I have a real problem with is the aphids on my milkweed. If there are no Monarch babies on it I just spray them with soapy water. I keep seeing cucumber beetles this year, but so far I have been able to keep them under control by hand as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't use chemicals in my garden. I just keep a watch out and control bugs by hand. The only thing I have a real problem with is the aphids on my milkweed. If there are no Monarch babies on it I just spray them with soapy water. I keep seeing cucumber beetles this year, but so far I have been able to keep them under control by hand as well.
I do not use chemicals either. Everything I mention is totally organic and made from natural organic materials. Just because something is manufactured doesn't mean it is bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I do not use chemicals either. Everything I mention is totally organic and made from natural organic materials. Just because something is manufactured doesn't mean it is bad.

Even organic and homemade stuff can go way wrong which is why it is banned in some places. I don't use weed killer ever, and that includes white vinegar or salt which are both pretty harmless in very small amounts, but can create problems if used too much. If I had an actual farm I might have to use other methods, but for now the only spray I use is foliar sprays that feed my plants.

Ask a Question