Desk "terrarium" - ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
home-design.jpg
So I saw recently that desktop terrariums are a thing, and they're becoming somewhat popular. I would love to have something like this on my desk at work. I do have a couple questions, however.

Ideally it'd be moss and a few smaller classic-looking ferns.

What type of moss (I like the color/texture of rock cap, if it would grow on soil too in the following conditions?) and fern (Athyrium otophorum maybe?) would be good for something like that? Something that is okay in fluorescent light and a light amount of natural light from a window. Room temperature(68 - 72 deg'ish), any type of watering schedule is fine.

Also I've been reading a bit about planting and I've been seeing that stones or rocks underneath the soil (as a sort of substrate) isn't necessary, is this also true for my application?

Ill also attach a type of container im considering. (-the wire frame, any suggestions on lid on vs off?)

Any other suggestions, tips, comments? ... Preferably constructive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Golden button ferns (Nephrolepis cordifolia 'Duffii') are great for terrariums and small places. They will multiple with little runners. Mosses I've always had to replace over time, but using the outdoor yard moss has worked. Terrariums I have found need a bit of tending/gardening to keep presentable.:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This desktop terrarium looks really pretty! I like it very much:) I think you can choose any type of moss. They all are very easy to grow and look beautiful. As for ferns, choose a miniature one.
Succulents would look lovely in a terrarium like this too:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
There's two types of terrariums. Open and closed. Succulents are for open and moss/ferns are best closed. If you decide to go for a closed one then you should open it once a week to prevent mold from growing. They're tons of fun especially when you recreate scenes and stuff with miniatures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
There's two types of terrariums. Open and closed. Succulents are for open and moss/ferns are best closed. If you decide to go for a closed one then you should open it once a week to prevent mold from growing. They're tons of fun especially when you recreate scenes and stuff with miniatures.
That's interesting. What about an ivy? I'm asking this, because I have a brand new, lovely terrarium and I've just bought two tiny ivy plants, and I really want to grow them in it. Should I leave it open or closed? My terrarium is like a tiny greenhouse, it has small doors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Mini English Ivy does well with closed but make sure it doesn't get too soggy. Even with moisture loving plants in a closed terrarium just remember to vent it once in a while cause mold and mildew will take over if there's no venting and add a little bit of water because water vapor will still find ways to escape. The ivy will need to be controlled now and then since it's a vine and vines love spreading haha.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for the answer:) To be honest, I hope my ivy will spread everywhere:D It's such a beautiful plant. I'm so glad it can be grown in a terrarium. I tried to grow basil in it, but it didn't work out. I guess herbs need fresh air.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh the ivy will grow haha. As to basil- most herbs generally need well drained soil and somewhat dry conditions because theyoriginally come from drier regions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I thought that basil likes high humidity, but now I know I was wrong. Today, I put all my poor basil plants on a windowsill. It's a much better place for them than the terrarium. I hope they'll survive.
I'm very excited about growing ivy:D

Ask a Question