Design for new beds; shady zone 6

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there. I am completely ignorant when it comes to plants and gardens and am getting exhausted trying to self educate online in order to fill garden beds after a home renovation. This is a north facing zone 6 house that gets pretty much zero sun...full shade :( I am thinking I need to add... 1) large foundation evergreen (pyramid-ish?) to the left of the bumped-out set of windows. (Something about 8' tall and up to 5' wide would work well.) 2) another medium foundation evergreen at the far right corner. It can be ~3' wide and up to 5' tall. 3) On the left of the front door, something foundational to go under the window...evergreen I guess...(rhododendron is gone now and back toward window will be more shady)? What's currently to the right of the front door now is a boxwood and some inkberry holly. Thinking of cutting back the inkberry to separate it better and regrow with more fullness. I have been told to stick with boxwoods or hollies. Any great ideas for interesting things to fill these spots other than boxwood or holly. [I DO NOT like pencil holly :p I love laurel leaves (mountain laurel did not do well previously...too much shade), rhododendron (too much shade?), azalea (shade?)] I can handle the filling in; it's just some foundational larger stuff I need ideas for. Also...low maintenance person here if possible. Thank you for any tips!! Or other design ideas--totally open!
house.jpg
house2.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum aspen75. :)

1) large foundation evergreen (pyramid-ish?) to the left of the bumped-out set of windows. (Something about 8' tall and up to 5' wide would work well.)

Planting something of this size close to the house is likely to give you problems in the future. As the plants mature root damage is likely to occur to foundations and utilities if they are close by. A consideration would be to plant in large pots.

Climbing plants tend to have less invasive roots and can be grown up a trellis either attached to the house or ground based. Small shrubs could be planted at the base of those.

Ask a Question