Dehydrated Fruit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The other day I purchased some dried apples from the store, as they were on sale. I was shocke that they actually taste really good...so good I am having a hard time staying out of them! This got me to thinking, does anyone dehydrate their own fruit? Is there a dehydrater that you could recommend for those of us who would like to dry out our own fruit?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use my dehydrator for all kinds of things. Drying herbs, making jerky, drying fruits and vegetables. It takes a little experimenting to get the hang of it but all in all it is a good thing to have.

Reaction score
As I grow all my own fruit and therefore normally have an abundance of it - I always either freeze or dry the excess but as I use the oven to dry my fruit rather than a dehydrator - I'm not able to recommend any particular brand of dehydrator.
I would however say that whatever way you choose to dry fruit - its always well worth the effort - as apart from making deliciously tasty snacks - dried fruit is extremely versatile too as it can be used for many things including gifts if packaged nicely :)

Reaction score
I'd love to start dehydrating my own fruit and preserve my own produce in the future. Would love it if the future in laws would give us a food dehydrator for Christmas! That would be awesome!

Reaction score
I experimented once with drying apricots and it went very well! With apricots the color will not stay good unless you dip them in a vitamin C liquid before you dehydrate them, so I just bought some frozen concentrated juice to use as a dip. It worked pretty well

Reaction score
I had a dehydraator for years and dried fruits, veggies, and even made chicken and beef jerky. You need to decide how much you plan on using the dehydrator and your space limitations, that will help you to make a better decision when you do buy one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This sounds like a lot of fun, and I can't wait to get started. I think that a dehydrator is going to be my Christmas wish this year. They are a little spendy and I am trying to get some things paid off right now.

Reaction score
My favorite dried fruit would have to be pineapple and raisins which are so tasty; but as for the dehydrating process I am totally clueless.Would love to get some information on this process also.

Reaction score
I had a dehydraator for years and dried fruits, veggies, and even made chicken and beef jerky. You need to decide how much you plan on using the dehydrator and your space limitations, that will help you to make a better decision when you do buy one.

I'd love to dehydrate my own chips, that would be totally awesome! Plus, dehydrating is in my opinion the best way to preserve fruits, at least the easiest and most delightful, hehehe. What kind of dehydrator would you recommend?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'd love to dehydrate my own chips, that would be totally awesome! Plus, dehydrating is in my opinion the best way to preserve fruits, at least the easiest and most delightful, hehehe. What kind of dehydrator would you recommend?
I got mine at WalMart a few years ago. It has 5 stacking plastic trays. Just a cheap thing but it works

Reaction score
Pretty good stuff can be found at Walmart, huh?! I was there just yesterday, but didn't have the chance to check that section :( Next time I go I will see if I can find a good dehydrator there, too bad they don't have Walmart where I am going. Will surely miss Walmart.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't have a Walmart around me and I always hear about the good deals. We do have a target so I will look there to see if I can find a dehydrator.

Reaction score
Ahh..I am rather unlucky since there is neither a Walmart or Target where I live; nevertheless I'm certainly going to search other stores and see if I have any luck finding a dehydrator.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ahh..I am rather unlucky since there is neither a Walmart or Target where I live; nevertheless I'm certainly going to search other stores and see if I have any luck finding a dehydrator.
How about Amazon? They are all over the www

Reaction score
I am pretty sure they are delicious but you got to be careful with the kind of method for dehydration that has been used for this. The reason is that whenever you dehydrate at a temperature beyond 40° C, most of the enzymes dissapear from the fruit and therefore it is a lot of nutritious content lost. I dehydrate grapes by just putting them in my window and they are delicious.

Ask a Question