Deer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Growing up I remember deer to be the biggest threat to our lawn and garden. My neighbors sent them all our way because they had an outdoor dog - probably the best deer repellant on the block.

Now I'm in a suburban neighborhood where houses have nice big yards, but are otherwise close together (sharing fences and whatnot).

Everyone around here has a personal garden, but I'm looking to expand mine and to add fruit trees. Deer around here are almost tame and abundant.

Any tips for keeping them away, besides "get a dog..." ?? :)

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My parents used to use a tall wire fence to keep the deer away. We have a huge deer population in this state and so it is a constant battle. They especially like tomatoes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Are your neighbors of the "deer are so cute, let's feed them" variety? If so, you have a neighbor/deer problem. Try to convince your neighbors that deer are not "cute". Have you ever seen a buck in rut? They can take out a toddler in a minute, not to mention ripping up fencing, destroying shrubbery, and playing havoc with landscaping.
There are deer repellent plants, mostly of the highly scented type. Rosemary, marigolds, and oregano are among the deer deterrents. Fencing is probably the best solution, although it can be expensive.

Reaction score
Maybe a tall fence is the only choice here, I don't see a way around it... unless you are ready to check other not so orthodox methods! I'd stick to the tall fence, that way you also keep away from your garden other pests. It's a win win choice if you ask me. My mother's uncle had a wire fence and that kept deers and other things that way, you could try something more visually appealing tho.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Although we live in an old development in the suburbs we still see deer once in awhile in the area. I saw 3 very large deer walking done the street one day. It is good to know rosemary, marigolds and oregano are deer deterrents. I do plan to plant some marigolds this summer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly, I'd do fencing of some sort. Generally even at full sprint deer around here can only jump ~6 to 7 feet. If you make a ten-foot fence, at the risk of being gaudy and standing out NO deer will be in your garden. Failing that, I'd drop salt licks in the neighbors yard if they thought they 'were cute' just to show them how much of trouble they really are, and that they are in fact - WILD ANIMALS for a reason.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If fencing doesn't work or isn't an option, have you tried urinating around your plants? The human scent generally keeps them away.

Hair also accomplishes this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Deer have very poor eyesight, so if you plan on going with a fence, black vinyl chain link would be my choice. Where I live, six foot is the maximum allowed height for a fence, so any wooden fence would not do. They can see it, gauge the height, and lope right over it. With the black vinyl system they will bump into it, not be able to tell how tall it is, and then walk away. Another thing to think about is planting Hosta. DON"T It's like deer crack to them. Ask me how I know.....:(

Reaction score
I am in the suburbs, and our deer are nice, friendly deer, too. I have a momma deer that lives pretty much in our yard and gives birth under the pine trees each year. It is so cute each year as she takes her newborn for a walk around "their" yard, and shows them where the pantry is.

And that cute scene sends me right to my spray. I have found what works best is a deer and rabbit repellant spray. I buy an organic version. They work quite well just by making your plants stink. Crucial when they are young, as like most humans, that's how they prefer their vegies.

Note of caution, be very careful to pay attention to the direction the wind is blowing and if it's changing directions, hold off. The stuff really stinks and it doesn't care if it's on a plant or a human. Most of the ones I have used don't have to be reapplied very often, thank goodness.

Ask a Question