Deer ate my tulips

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I absolutely love tulips and a few years ago, I splurged and bought over 1000 bulbs to plant in my yard. The next spring, they started to come up and got a few inches tall, when the deer came into my yard and ate them all. Boy was I upset - not so much over the cost, but because of the labor involved in planting all those bulbs. I was so looking forward to my beautiful spring garden. Does anyone know of a way to keep the deer from eating my tulips?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I absolutely love tulips and a few years ago, I splurged and bought over 1000 bulbs to plant in my yard. The next spring, they started to come up and got a few inches tall, when the deer came into my yard and ate them all. Boy was I upset - not so much over the cost, but because of the labor involved in planting all those bulbs. I was so looking forward to my beautiful spring garden. Does anyone know of a way to keep the deer from eating my tulips?
Have you tried Liquid Fence? Or mountain lion urine?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a hunter by nature, and a botanist second. If I saw a deer eating my hard work and effort, I don't know if my 30/30 rifle would have had a hard time leaving its gun cabinet. As an avid deeer hunter, I can suggest some multiple things.

If you can't afford fencing to keep them out, I suggest going to the outskirts of your property and using "Salt-Licks" to keep the deer at bay. Aside from constant supervision and surveillance cameras, you'd need a dog or animal to keep them away if the "Salt-Licks" don't work.

Unless you had mountain lion urine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Galmal, I'm so sorry this happened to you!:( It would break my heart if I lost so many tulips:( Each one of my plants is very dear and special to me.
Is your garden fenced off? A good fence should stop deers from visiting you.

Reaction score
So sorry to hear this happened to you, Galmal! I'd sure be so pissed up and sad if a deer suddenly out of nowhere came and ate all my flowers! Not fair at all! I think Shane offered you some really good tips, hopefully you can solve this issue soon!

Reaction score
All the tulips in my town get eaten. It's so sad the deer just go around like they own the place.

I will warn you the urine products smell so bag you may experience nausea while trying to use them. My workplace tried one called "deer be gone" but we all said it should have been called people be gone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My first thought is to put up a fence. Deer can't be the only uninvited wildlife entering your garden. If erecting a fence is cost prohibitive you could try other barriers like hedges or low walls. You could also relocate the tulip bulbs to an area where it would more difficult for the deer to get to them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is terrible! Deer used to get into my dad's vegetable garden all of the item and he ended up bordering the whole thing with chicken wire. I am sure that you do not want an unsightly fence all around your beautiful tulips though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is terrible! Deer used to get into my dad's vegetable garden all of the item and he ended up bordering the whole thing with chicken wire. I am sure that you do not want an unsightly fence all around your beautiful tulips though.
I'm a hunter by nature, and a botanist second. If I saw a deer eating my hard work and effort, I don't know if my 30/30 rifle would have had a hard time leaving its gun cabinet. As an avid deeer hunter, I can suggest some multiple things.

If you can't afford fencing to keep them out, I suggest going to the outskirts of your property and using "Salt-Licks" to keep the deer at bay. Aside from constant supervision and surveillance cameras, you'd need a dog or animal to keep them away if the "Salt-Licks" don't work.

Unless you had mountain lion urine.
Yep, HVLP is the only sure fire cure as the varmint in the pic can attest too.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 416
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The ironic thing about it is that I've lived in the country and never had any problems with the deer. It was when we moved to the city (well, a small city of about 100,000 people) that they became destructive. As far as fencing the area, I've seen deer jump an 8 foot fence - so that wouldn't help. And since we live in the city, shooting at them would have landed me in jail. :eek: I have to say though, a month or two later, they made up for it (well, a little bit) when two of them came up to a big picture window in my living room and looked in at me. Their noses were actually pressed up against the glass.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here's the culprit - I forgot I had this picture. Of course, with a face like that, how could I stay mad!

Debay (24 of 31).jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I seldom have tulips make it passed a single bloom. They must be very delicious because something always eats them. Daffodils however come back and multiple. Guess they aren't tasty.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another good routine to do, if the Deer are into your yard too much (without harming the cute little thing, if that's what you think) is to plant an outer perimeter of flowers that are meant to be wild and not tended to. Then fence in your specific plants, allowing the 'wild' plants to be on the outside. Generally they'll eat them and leave, but if they're hungry and the fence is low they'll just hop the fence (yup, tested). Make sure the fence is clear-mesh so they have issues seeing it, and make sure it's above average jump height of a deer that's not in full run (I'd say generally five to six feet high) and you should be fine.

Ask a Question