Dawn Redwood Dying

Reaction score
Country
United States
we have had a Dawn Redwood tree for three years. It took well to the planting and has thrived until this year. There seems to be something killing off branches on the tree’s south side. There seems to be a brown granular substance heavily coating branches that are not allowing new growth. I’ve tried using a disease control for rust or powdery mildew but nothing seems to have helped. Would anyone have an idea of what’s going on with my tree??

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• AAA5F632-DCC0-448B-AD41-A065B3FB4B0B.jpeg
    AAA5F632-DCC0-448B-AD41-A065B3FB4B0B.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 309
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The bad news is that branch of your Dawn Redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides) is dead. The cause of death is not the disintegrating bark seen on the outside, but rather some disease or injury to the plant's vasculature within or near the base of the branch. It is not clear if this is an isolated problem or one that could spread to other branches, but the fact that I see other healthy green branches in the background is a most hopeful sign. Cut off the dead wood and continue to observe the tree and give appropriate care. Hopefully it will fully recover. I suspect it will.

Ask a Question