Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Bron and I have had a dash cam in our car for a couple of years;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-ne...5.1348292634.1532331703-1884453134.1530684060

Dash cams are really catching on as seen above. Not only does a dash cam record other people's driving it records your driving too so knowing the dash cam is running then it makes you a safer driver?

Above is a video showing what fun it is around home just to post a letter; fortunately on this trip I didn't meet another vehicle coming downhill past the school; this is usually a case of running the gauntlet and when a wagon or bus is met it's a nightmare resulting in driving along the pavement but this is preferable to the council sorting the problem out; near the top a car started to pull out; this lane is very steep running up the valley for a mile.

Our dash cam is a Transcend Drive Pro 100 and to date it's been very reliable; it takes clear pictures even at night; here's me returning over Holme Moss with a garden shredder;

Hope this is of interest.

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Since we drive in the right lane it always makes my alarms go off to watch video like this one.

Bron and I watched an episode of Highway Patrol this morning and it always feels strange to us seeing vehicles being driven on the wrong side of the road. :D

Yesterday whilst visiting Rufforth Auto Jumble; as I headed North up the M1 motorway at 70mph with cruise control engaged I saw a speed restriction sign in the nearside verge stating 50mph so I slowed to 50mph only for every other vehicle to pass me. This lasted a few miles before I left the motorway. Returning home driving South down the M1 again I was traveling at 70mph with cruise control engaged and this time a short distance apart were two 50mph speed restriction signs so I pulled into the nearside lane and slowed to 50mph; for mile after mile every vehicle passed me; cars; wagons and even two police motorcycles; in this area new safety barriers have been installed and it's obvious these signs have been overlooked once the work had been completed.

For many miles I was the only one to adhere to the 50mph speed limit signs; this posed a danger to myself and to other road users; vehicles were bearing down on my rear bumper at high speed then swerving out to avoid me in short I was a nuisance to other road users because I was driving at the permitted maximum speed; at one point I wondered if another vehicle would crash into my rear? There are so many speed restrictions with traffic calming and speed cameras locally so why is this allowed on a motorway; either the signs are removed or they need enforcing?

In the meantime I'll be a pest and adhere to the legal speed limit. My dash cam was running all the time and it was unbelievable to watch big 4x4's driven along the offside lane at an estimated 100mph or more. My dash cam shows how I'm driving and it would show if I exceeded the speed limit.

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Esther. (y) Your camera video is excellent; were you over here on holiday and taking the video from the front of a bus because your camera view looks quite high?

England is tiny compared to the vastness of America or even Australia; England and Scotland 1,000 miles top to bottom would be just a nice little trip out in America?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yes, @Colin was there last year at about this time. Pics are in that travel thread on this site. Yes the UK about 1/2 the size of our California. I did a country road tour of Scotland. so beautiful. People are so nice there. and got good on the buses and travel prior to the tour starting. have no buses in my are like was everywhere there. have to go to a major city to find such things. Was on my way to the botanical gardens there.

Ask a Question