Darn basil

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I grew some basil from seed and planted them in containers. I placed the containers in my kitchen under grow lights under my kitchen cabinets. I have the grow lights set on a timer for about 10 hours a day. My other herbs planted and placed in the same location are doing great. I used potting mix soil from HD. I try to keep the soil on the moist side but not wet. But they don't look healthy. The leaves aren't deep green and in fact look light green/yellowish and there are dry spots that appear in the middle of the leaves, they those leaves die. There are now leaves sprouting from where the stems come off the main stalk, but I don't have much hope those new tiny leaves won't meet the same fate. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? See the attached photo.
IMG_1489.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Probably too wet. This can be temperature related, as the chemical pumps are slower with lower temps and the need for moisture reduces. Its probably 70f in the house? A moist but dry finger is good. Wet finger bad. Do you use a dilute fertilizer when you spritz it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes the house is around 70F. Can it be saved or should I start over? I also noticed the stem by the dirt is brown and looks a little rotted. One more thing, I started the seed in seed starting mix from HD in a small yogurt cup, then transplanted it into the larger pot it's in now.

Also spritzed? I've been using a water bottle with a nozzle to squirt a little water into the pot which is a 6" pot. I squirt about 1/4-1/2 cup of water in there when I see the top of the dirt drying out and when I push my finger into the dirt it feels on the drier side.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes the house is around 70F. Can it be saved or should I start over? I also noticed the stem by the dirt is brown and looks a little rotted. One more thing, I started the seed in seed starting mix from HD in a small yogurt cup, then transplanted it into the larger pot it's in now.

Also spritzed? I've been using a water bottle with a nozzle to squirt a little water into the pot which is a 6" pot. I squirt about 1/4-1/2 cup of water in there when I see the top of the dirt drying out and when I push my finger into the dirt it feels on the drier side.
Oh basil will grow when its happy. Cut one branch and two grow back. It needs at least some nutrients, and pots drain so well they become barren. What fertilizer do you use? Iron will help that color.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess the question then becomes how do I make it happy?

The potting mix I used from HD said it had fertilizer built in. So I’ve been trying to be careful not to over fertilize it for a while. By the way I just transplanted it in the 6” pot about 2-3 weeks ago.

The fertilizer I have is Miracle Gro Plant Food Vegatables and Herbs water soluble to mix with water, 18-18-21.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I guess the question then becomes how do I make it happy?

The potting mix I used from HD said it had fertilizer built in. So I’ve been trying to be careful not to over fertilize it for a while. By the way I just transplanted it in the 6” pot about 2-3 weeks ago.

The fertilizer I have is Miracle Gro Plant Food Vegatables and Herbs water soluble to mix with water, 18-18-21.
Well its probably on the label, but that stuff is really strong. Do they say cut it down to 25% of the normal ratio?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The problem is I'm trying to let it dry out before I water it again. So is it too wet or too little fertilizer?

Reaction score
Country
United States

I too have found basil difficult to grow. I have had great luck with oregano, rosemary, thyme, sage, lavender, mint, and cilantro. However, this year I planted some basil in a small pot and have been babying it all spring and summer. Finally I have a better result!

Attachments

• IMG_20210627_193552088_640x480.jpg
    IMG_20210627_193552088_640x480.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 37

Ask a Question