Daphne has split - divide in two?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a Daphne trans Eternal Fragrance that had a major fork low down when I bought it 2 years ago. In January, it split at the fork and has flopped a bit. The plant seems to be fine - it has new leaves. Should I dig it up and extend the split in order to get two plants? Or should I somehow tie the two forks together and hope it heals? Thx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi Sheal, two photos attached, taken today. Thanks, Catherine
daphne2.jpg daphne1.jpg

Reaction score
Tying it together and hoping it heals won't work,forget that.

Digging it up and splitting it won't work either, that will kill it.

Your only hope is to pune out completely one side, near the base ,and hope the other side survives .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok, I will try pruning. One last question, when should I do this - now (we are in the Pacific NW, so just into a very late-starting Spring) or in the Fall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A very large daphne odora aureomarginata growing in a friend's garden was trodden on by a clumsy visitor a couple of years back. The visitor's aim was to effectively split the plant in two.
I cut off the smaller and more damaged part and neatly pruned the remaining damaged shoots and heavily mulched. Surprisingly.....cos daphnes have a reputation for reacting badly to heavy pruning....the plant has thrived. Currently.....as last spring....it is full of flower. :)

Ask a Question