Dang Cat Pee!

Reaction score
I have a couple of cat pee rings on my lawn and it is terrible. My neighbors have fallen to the same plight. I live in a gated community and a few years ago a couple moved in with cats. They let their cats outside all day and during the night. Now, after reproducing like bunnies we have cats all over our community. For some reason they really like one area of my front porch where there are bushes that have not grown the way I wanted. I had to take 3 little ones to the animal shelter earlier this year. What can I do to ward them off but not hurt them in any way? --peace

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a couple of cat pee rings on my lawn and it is terrible. My neighbors have fallen to the same plight. I live in a gated community and a few years ago a couple moved in with cats. They let their cats outside all day and during the night. Now, after reproducing like bunnies we have cats all over our community. For some reason they really like one area of my front porch where there are bushes that have not grown the way I wanted. I had to take 3 little ones to the animal shelter earlier this year. What can I do to ward them off but not hurt them in any way? --peace
Mulch around your plants with pecan mulch. The sharp edges of the shells hurt their feet and they will go to a more comfortable area. Cats like to bury their stuff so if they are really killing the grass apply a thin layer of compost to that area. Cat pee is actually a pretty good fertilizer in limited amounts and if you have a good compost applied they will actually help your lawn. Also their is such a thing as a HavaHeart trap. Trap them and take them across the nearest river and let them loose into somebody else's neighborhood. Otherwise HVLP works every time if applied correctly

Reaction score
Woah, that couple sounds like a charm. If I was you I'd talk with the other neighbors, you guys should gather some signatures so that couple can neuter their cats, otherwise the number will just get bigger and bigger...

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can also put a few moth balls in strategic locations (flowerbeds, areas in the perimeter of your house, even a couple in trouble areas of your lawn), lightly cover them with leaves, grass clippings or mulch. Of course, rain and snow dissolve them in time so you might have to replace them until the cats get the message....

Reaction score
Cocoa shells are also great for keeping cats away. Like pecan mulch they are poky on the cats paws and they won't want to walk on it. Your yard will also smell like chocolate which is just delightful.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cocoa shells would be my choice just so I could smell the chocolate in the yard. I agree with using moth balls to help keep the cats out of your yard also. It does seem that the HOA could talk to the owners of the cats to stop them from letting the cats have the run of the neighborhood.

Reaction score
I love cats, but it's really irresponsible of that couple to let their cats keep having litters of kittens unchecked in a gated community.
You might have to take Trellum's advice and circulate a petition. It's not fair of them to make their pets everyone else's problem.

Reaction score
You can also put a few moth balls in strategic locations (flowerbeds, areas in the perimeter of your house, even a couple in trouble areas of your lawn), lightly cover them with leaves, grass clippings or mulch. Of course, rain and snow dissolve them in time so you might have to replace them until the cats get the message....

I think I will try this one first. Thank you very much.

Reaction score
Mulch around your plants with pecan mulch. The sharp edges of the shells hurt their feet and they will go to a more comfortable area. Cats like to bury their stuff so if they are really killing the grass apply a thin layer of compost to that area. Cat pee is actually a pretty good fertilizer in limited amounts and if you have a good compost applied they will actually help your lawn. Also their is such a thing as a HavaHeart trap. Trap them and take them across the nearest river and let them loose into somebody else's neighborhood. Otherwise HVLP works every time if applied correctly

If the pecan mulch don't work out I will consider the HavaHeart trap (it's so many of them).

Reaction score
You should have spoken to your neighbors and let them know it's really irresponsible to let their cats just to continually reproduce. That's what cats do. They should have been sprayed and neutered before things got out of hand. As of now I don't see any way for you to stop the problem at this point. A plethora of cats is a nuisance to everyone in your neighborhood.

Ask a Question