damp garden

Reaction score
I recently moved to new built house and back garden was very, very damp due to compacted soil and builders rubbish in it. I needed it to drain well as i wanted to keep chickens and they dont like to live in very damp conditions. what i had done is I dug up a big hole in a middle of garden with 5 arms from corners of garden (there are 4 corners, i know) meeting at the centre. kind of octopus shape thing. I filled it with stone, wrapped in weed fabric. it works well i think considering the beautiful weather we had so far this winter (I live in Ireland), but i was thinking of taking next step and here is where i need some professional advice.
It is small garden, it's completely flat , there is a shed in a far corner. I'd like to raise a level of garden by building a step out of railway sleepers (where patio meets soil) and bring enough of good quality topsoil to make a slope towards the back of the garden (there's additional waste rain water pipe approx. foot below ground level). i wouldnt move shed, as i feel that it's too much of logistic problem and it sits on paving slabs so i reckon it should be ok. big question is am i thinking right? could someone advise please if this is a right way to go?
the reason for it is not only to improve drainage, but also to make garden look nicer and to get better quality soil in for the lawn, so gras can grow quicker, especially that chickens are eating it.
does it make sens to anybody? and yes, i realise this is really long and a bit chaotic so I thank you for your patience

smile.png

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums :)

Sounds like a good plan if you're sure you've sorted the drainage out ok, you mean like a raised bed sort of thing?

Reaction score
I was thinking of something like what's in attachement. at the moment patio level and soil level are the same.
Sounds like a good plan if you're sure you've sorted the drainage out ok
- now, that is good question. it improved alright, but is it sorted out completely - i don't know. i was hoping this project would improve it further. what's your view on that?

Attachments

• garden step.JPG
    garden step.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 404
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I think that would work just fine
Make sure your patio has a place to drain off too
You can add a store bought drain box and connect it to your rain drain pipe if needed

Reaction score
Sounds like a really good start to what your goal is and the additional comments here should work as well. It quite a project but you will be really happy when you have finally got it all done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like a good plan, and different levels in the garden will also add a lot of interest. What is your bottom level going to be - a patio? Just be sure that you have good drainage there - perhaps a French drain around the outside of it. Our patio has been really badly laid, and we get puddles in the middle of it, so if you are getting someone in to do the work make sure they do a good job!

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Never thought of this, but now i realized that the patio is on very slight slope towards the garden, so if i raised the level of soil i'd end up with water puddles near the steps with no way of going anywhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thats were a trench drain and some 4" pipe would come in to play
Place the trench drain at the base of the steps and run the drain pipe under your fill dirt to a lower area or tie it in to your existing rain water drain

Ask a Question