Daffodil Dilemma

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I have decided I don't want my daffodils where they are. I know they need to be lifted and seperated and re planted but I would like to put them elsewhere, in an area where their bright yellow heads pop up from behind so that when they fall over and need to just lie their looking messy they'll be hidden. I have just the place in mind.
I have investigated and have found 2 schools of thought.
1. Dig up when flowers brown off and laeve till autumn in a cool dark place
2. Replant immediately after digging up.
What have you guys done?
Also do I pull off the flower stalk and leaves and keep only the bulbs as the little patch I have experimented with are still firmly attached and I feel I may damage the bulb if I try to seperate them? I guess just cut them off.
It also gets very hot here over summer and I just wonder if any where here will be cool enough.to store them adequately. I have been reassued that they'd be fine under the house.
I would appreciate any advice :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DeborahJane , I like to plant back In there new position if possible immediately normally although what I like to do & what I actually do is often vary different things ;) I often end up popping them in a box till later then finding them again well into winter & in a panic pop them in the ground(y) The worry being that if they are popped into a box, Will you remember to deal with them before winter?...........would be vary sad if you found them next Spring still in there box. while cleaning out & spring clean:cry:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DeborahJane , I like to plant back In there new position if possible immediately normally although what I like to do & what I actually do is often vary different things ;) I often end up popping them in a box till later then finding them again well into winter & in a panic pop them in the ground(y) The worry being that if they are popped into a box, Will you remember to deal with them before winter?...........would be vary sad if you found them next Spring still in there box. while cleaning out & spring clean:cry:
:LOL:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You might need to scroll to the bit about daffs but you might be able to get some idea from here.

Ask a Question