Cypress turning brown!

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi everyone,

I had brought in a Cypress from a nursery a couple of weeks ago. I had had it potted in a large plastic container.

The plant receives ample of sunlight throughout the day and is being watered regularly. However, its leaves near the stem have started to turn brown.

What could be the reason(s)?
Thank you.

Attachments

• BBE7362D-CE47-4620-A4D5-5D55CD5395A1.jpeg
    BBE7362D-CE47-4620-A4D5-5D55CD5395A1.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 213
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I had brought in a Cypress from a nursery a couple of weeks ago. I had had it potted in a large plastic container.

The plant receives ample of sunlight throughout the day and is being watered regularly. However, its leaves near the stem have started to turn brown.

What could be the reason(s)?
Thank you.
It looks like from the picture it is a lack of water but it could be too much water. What is that soil? Clay or sand or what?

Reaction score
Country
India
It looks like from the picture it is a lack of water but it could be too much water. What is that soil? Clay or sand or what?
Thank you for responding, Chuck.

I’m not really sure about the soil type, but I water it once in two-three days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for responding, Chuck.

I’m not really sure about the soil type, but I water it once in two-three days.
When you bought the tree was it in a container or was it a bare root tree? If it was in a container was the soil the same in the original container as it is now? If it was a bare root tree was the wrapping still wet when you bought it and kept wet until you put it in the container it is in now?

The soil it is in now looks very sandy. If it is you need to water more often because water runs through sandy soil very quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Also, I cannot see the base of the tree. It is probably planted too deep although that wouldn't cause the leaf/limb problems this soon.

Reaction score
Country
India
When you bought the tree was it in a container or was it a bare root tree? If it was in a container was the soil the same in the original container as it is now? If it was a bare root tree was the wrapping still wet when you bought it and kept wet until you put it in the container it is in now?

The soil it is in now looks very sandy. If it is you need to water more often because water runs through sandy soil very quickly.
Chuck, I think you may be just right about the soil being sandy. I’ll start watering the plant more often.

It looks in the picture like the plant is planted too deep into the soil, but in actual, it isn’t.

Thank you again for your time and suggestions, Chuck.

Ask a Question