Cuttings

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Did anyone have any success growing herbs from store bought herbs like cilantro, thyme, sage etc? I know basil grows pretty easy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No is my short answer to that. I believe they put some kind of growth inhibitor on them. They are probably better started from seed at home unless you can find perennial herbs in the garden for cutting material. Basil is of course an annual herb and is not frost hardy so cuttings are definitely not the way to go.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did anyone have any success growing herbs from store bought herbs like cilantro, thyme, sage etc? I know basil grows pretty easy.
Yes! I have grown rosemary, oregano, basil, thyme, sage, and several mints. The only store bought herb I had trouble with was basil. I grew it much easier from seed. The others I mentioned did very well!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Tess can you give me some pointers or anything you did extra to make them take root? I got some parsley stems in water now eating to see some roots

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tess can you give me some pointers or anything you did extra to make them take root? I got some parsley stems in water now eating to see some roots
I have really good rich soil in my garden that I have been adding steer manure to every year. All I do is till the soil really well by hand (It's fairly small), and add the manure and mix in. Oh, and I give the herbs plant food now and then. They flourish with this treatment!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Caught some good info from Monty Don in Gardener's World about this and found an online reference. Scroll down to the "taking cuttings" section.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have really good rich soil in my garden that I have been adding steer manure to every year. All I do is till the soil really well by hand (It's fairly small), and add the manure and mix in. Oh, and I give the herbs plant food now and then. They flourish with this treatment!
But do you start them off in water first till they grow some roots?

Reaction score
Country
United States
These herbs I mentioned that I bought from the store were already little plants. I just popped them out of the plastic pots they came in and planted them into my garden. The basil did poorly, so I bought basil from seed the next time and it took off like crazy!
The only cuttings I every grew from a true "cutting" was Christmas cactus. My mom grew roses from clippings.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks Pepperhead. Ok Tess thanks anyway for the info. Btw basil is super easy to start in water. Will try other herbs and see how it goes anyway.

Ask a Question