Cuttings and Seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Yesterday I did some cuttings, this is the third time I've tried cuttings, The first time (about 2 years ago) was modestly successful, I did some Carnations, Honey Suckle and Rosemary. The second time (about 1.5 years ago) did not go well, plants didn't get their moisture (my fault) and all was done for.

Not sure all were appropriate based on plant, time of year, cutting type, but cut and planted none the less. It will be fun to watch and see how they do. There is Rosemary, Carnations, Butterfly Bush, Russian Sage, Sage…. It's a 1020 tray so 72 cuttings per tray (tray is about 10" x 20", cuttings are about 1" or 2" high generally).

ry%3D480

All set and stored. I do have a heating mat I was thinking about using, but I don’t think I’m going to use it for this round. A younger fellow from a class I was in want to do some cutting so I invited him over, his is the second tray.

ry%3D480

I made a post in the greenhouse section where I recycled an old tent type greenhouse into a shade house. I planted in there on June 3rd and I’ve got 100% on the 14th. There are 15 types of basil and 15 types of herbs. Basil is 15 x 3 and herbs are 15 x 1. The shade house is really working out well.
https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/recycled-a-greenhouse-and-made-shade-house.5267/#post-57189

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks good. Try to keep moisture levels even and don't let them be without good air circulation

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Checked your log on the build,t too. All very impressive. Your layout looks very professional and very productive. I've only tried cuttings with flowers and some bushes. Good on you for labeling so clearly. I'm afraid I'll do a heap of cuttings and think I'll label tomorrow but I don't. I think I'll remember what's on the trays but I don't! ."Note to self" LABEL! LABEL! LABEL! :mad:o_O:sick:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They all look great:) Propagating plants is very exciting, isn't it? I managed to propagate two of my miniature roses from cuttings. It was a lot of fun to watch them grow. Now, they're really big and healthy.

Reaction score
Awesome! I wish I had that much space in order to work with that many plants! You have a lot of them, are you going to plant them all or also give some away?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Depending on what it is I'll plant'em, or eat'em. or give'em away.

Ask a Question