Cut roses love warm water

Reaction score
If you want your cut roses to open up well and flourish in the water, I recommend placing them in warm water. I have revived dying roses this way, or found awkward ones that don't want to open, will do using this method. Make sure the water isn't too hot though.

Jed

Reaction score
That'e interesting advise. :) We have talked earlier this year on how to preserve cut flowers but not how to show them at their best.
I have a potted olive tree on a verandah and this time of year, mid winter, water it sparingly with warm water as the tap water is close to zero. I felt that plants probably prefer it warm this time of year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is really surprising! I've always thought that all cut flowers prefer cold water. I often get roses, so I'll definitely give it a try, thank you for the advice:)

Reaction score
Great! I have always thought that it is only the soft stemmed flowers that loved warm water. I have never tried it on hard stemmed flowers, maybe this weekend when I will be buying a bunch of roses. I will let you know how this works for me. Do you also use Aspirin in the water?

Reaction score
I heard you should add some Sprite to the water to give the plant some energy and make it last longer, but I don't remember if I ever tried this. Does anyone know if it actually works?

Reaction score
Great! I have always thought that it is only the soft stemmed flowers that loved warm water. I have never tried it on hard stemmed flowers, maybe this weekend when I will be buying a bunch of roses. I will let you know how this works for me. Do you also use Aspirin in the water?

All of my roses used to die quite quickly before I tried this. Sometimes they hardly opened either. It always seems to work for me. I saw the method in a magazine. Make sure it is lukewarm. No, I haven't heard of adding that medicine! is that supposed to help too?

Jed

Reaction score
I heard you should add some Sprite to the water to give the plant some energy and make it last longer, but I don't remember if I ever tried this. Does anyone know if it actually works?

Earlier lots of methods for preserving flowers were discussed. I'ld say Sprite would be be in with a chance as a preserving agent.From what I can nut out, sugar itself is used as an anti-bacterial for preserving fruits and other foods so Sprite having loads of sugar would be a good contender.:)
https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/cut-flowers-making-them-last.357/

Reaction score
I never thought of that. What great tip. If I ever get Roses again. LOL.. i will try that.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Using warm water is a great tip I have watered my plants with warm water or tea without any problems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I heard that watering plants with warm water can kill them. I don't want to take any risk, so I never do this with my potted roses. Cut flowers are different, it's much easier to run experiments on them:p

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmm...well I'm always up for trying some new advice, I had never heard that about roses but I'll have to see what results I can get :).

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have always heard to put the cut rose stems in cold water. It is so strange to hear one thing and your supposed to do the opposite. Anytime I get roses no matter what I do they die so fast. I will put them in warm water and hope the stay alive a lot longer.

Reaction score
My bad, over the years i have being place my cut flowers in cold water and they usually stay fresh for about two-three days before they're wilted. I'll do the reverse and see how effective it is.

Ask a Question