Cut or pull dead plants/weeds? Pictures attached

Reaction score
Country
United States
I inherited a beautiful garden when I moved to this house recently but unfortunately did not take care of the garden so I have dead plants now. Are these weeds? I would like to start taking care of my garden so my first question is, do I pull or cut these dead plants? Thank you!
PXL_20220624_122943543.jpg
PXL_20220624_122928362.MP.jpg
PXL_20220624_122935860.jpg
PXL_20220624_122930177.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the long leaves are crocosmia. It does tend to increase and take over, no harm in digging round it and tidying it back . They are a Spring thing, and soon, when the leaves have died down a bit more, you can remove them and leave the corms to come back next year. I run the rotary mower over them when they are more brown than green. I reckon they are best under a hedge where they make a nice bit of early colour.

In the bottom picture hanging over the kerb are dandelion flowers, rapidly turning to fruits. Get them now, before they fill the air with thistledown ready to pop up dandelions all over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Looks like tiger Lilly, I consider them weeds, my wife considers them flowers.

We've come to the agreement they can stay until they encroach on important things like the garden or walkways.

Also, Looks like something may have been bedding down there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They are definitely not crocosmia. Look like some kind of day lily to me. Tiger lilies are tall, sturdy single stemmed with large spectacular blooms. Some of ours grow to 5 ft high. We have lots of crocosmias too. They have lots long spear shaped leaves and grow in clumps with long thin stems having lots of usually bright red flowers that bloom in succession up the stem. Hummingbirds love them. They can spread and take over, but they are easy to pull and manage. Why am I telling you this?! - they are not crocosmia....

Ask a Question