Cut back Beauty Bush or leave it alone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My Beauty Bush is about 3-5 years old. We inherited it when we bought the house. It's about 4 ft tall and 2 ft wide. Do I cut it back or just leave it be? The branches are all alive and blossomed during the spring. I have left it alone each winter and it seems fine, so I'm leaning towards leaving it alone but thought I'd ask and see if it would be strengthened by cutting it back?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have two Beauty Bushes, and we don't cut them back. One is about 13 years old, and the other, grown from a cutting, is about five years old. We have lots of room, so we just let them do their thing.
If your branches are all alive in spring, and blossom, it must be a happy plant that doesn't particularly need strengthening.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Gosh, I've really never measured it, but it is about four feet tall, and perhaps three feet wide. The younger one is about two feet tall, and two feet wide, but it is in poorer soil and under a large established tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If those are the dimensions of your 13 year old bush, maybe mine has reached its maximum size. It's about the same as yours. In any case, it's a beautiful bush and I'm thrilled to have inherited it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1607342021510.png
Does it look like this Kolkwitzia amabilis ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Mine is a couple years old and produces tons of berries for the birds, but it's gangly looking at about 5-6 feet tall and about 7 ft wide. I was thinking about cutting it back this winter, but still not sure....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a fine example for using the Latin name of plants. Callicarpa and Kolkwitzia are often named as ''beauty bush'' There are lots of other examples as well.
It is difficult to know what plant we are talking about, and one can very easily give totally the wrong advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
saw this video once that some "special gardener person" cut the whole thing back to about her knee high. Just bothered me. I have 4 of them. I will give them a slight shaping, but for the most part I leave them alone.

Ask a Question