Curious...

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have this vine ivy growing in a part of our backyard, and we thought it was poison oak. But, I'm not entirely sure. We haven't removed it fully, but I am unfamiliar with this type of vine.

Any help.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 245

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
It doesn't look like poison oak to me.... poison oak doesn't have those open dips in the leaves. poison oak has 3 individual leaves on a stem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am going to tentatively identify this single leaf as from the Cupseed Vine (Calycocarpum lyonii) in the Moonseed Family (Menispermaceae). The leaves of Cupseed are remarkably variable, having any number from 3 to 7 primary lobes. and with margins that can vary from smooth to wavy, to toothed, to secondarily lobed.
This leaf seems to fall into that range of variation, but I would like to see more leaves, preferably still attached to the stem.

I often wish that OPs would take more pictures or better pictures, or give more geographic and habitat information.
This is especially true in this case. Yes, I know it is five years later, but if the OP can supply any more information, please do not hesitate to respond to this post.

Ask a Question