Cucumber plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
I uploaded a pic but I noticed a whiteness at base of cucumber plant, anyone know what it means? Other cucumber plant doesn't have any sign of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20160508_181402.jpg
    IMG_20160508_181402.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 345
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Fungus/root rot. If that's the only plant affected, remove it along with the ball of soil and all the roots. If I'm correct the plant can't be saved at this point. (If I'm not correct I'm sure someone else will be along to say so lol.)

No treatment that I'm aware of but it's usually caused by poorly draining soil, too much water, watering from above. Clear the lower leaves and put down some good mulch. @Chuck recommends agricultural grade cornmeal for fungus control, hopefully he sees this!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen it. Doesn't look like root rot although it's quite possibly fungus.
The bottom of your plant looks healthy, can you upload a photo of the rest of it?
I'd be more inclined to dig up a load of soil with th plant and its roots, and put it in a pot to isolate it for now, whilst we see how things progress.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
From the pic I can't tell for sure but I don't think it is downy mildew. It looks more like soft scale. Is this white stuff covering more of the plant? What happens when you rub your finger on it? It also looks similar to what one of the spittle bugs do. Describe what it feels like. Also I would do what @headfullofbees suggested and separate it from the rest.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's the only area that has the white stuff and I can gently scrape it off and it's green underneath it. The other cucumber plant came with that one in same container and it is fine with no signs of any white on it. Other than that plant looks OK to me both are starting to get yellow flower.
I did dig down soil on side of it and roots that I saw were white in color. So I will keep an eye on it and see what happens if it gets worse or goes away.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's the only area that has the white stuff and I can gently scrape it off and it's green underneath it. The other cucumber plant came with that one in same container and it is fine with no signs of any white on it.
Squish it and rub it between your fingers. If there is any color besides the white that you see it is insects

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
From the pic I can't tell for sure but I don't think it is downy mildew. It looks more like soft scale. Is this white stuff covering more of the plant? What happens when you rub your finger on it? It also looks similar to what one of the spittle bugs do. Describe what it feels like. Also I would do what @headfullofbees suggested and separate it from the rest.
Mildew of either kind would hit the leaves first and be all over both plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
That's the only area that has the white stuff and I can gently scrape it off and it's green underneath it. The other cucumber plant came with that one in same container and it is fine with no signs of any white on it. Other than that plant looks OK to me both are starting to get yellow flower.
I did dig down soil on side of it and roots that I saw were white in color. So I will keep an eye on it and see what happens if it gets worse or goes away.
Mix 1 part milk to 5 parts water and spray on both plants as a precaution.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh, dear. If too much water causes fungus on cucumber plants, then I need to be watchful since we have just experienced 4 days of rain.

Ask a Question