Cucumber leaves bitten off to stem

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
Just planted my new garden and now had something attack my cucumbers and bitten the whole leaves off and down to the stem.

I am assuming the cucumber plant is no longer good, correct?

I am thinking it is deer. What has everyone found useful for keeping deer and rabbits out?

I have heard human hair, tin pans, and cds.

Thanks and happy gardening!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nothing works well except for a tall fence. Hair, urine, propellers, ribbons, I've tried everything. Liquid Fence and Bobbitt work fairly good for a time but not forever.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If the growing tip is still there, it may be saveable. It may even grow new ones from the cotyledons, (It is a vine after all) but, as Chuck says, it may be simpler , & lead to better results in the long run, to replace. If you do replace, are you going to get a repeat of the trouble?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Use a motion detector. We use a motion sensing water sprinkler. They make a racket and come on suddenly. Hell, they scare me. They hit me some times also. Deer are made to startle easily.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Use a motion detector. We use a motion sensing water sprinkler. They make a racket and come on suddenly. Hell, they scare me. They hit me some times also. Deer are made to startle easily.View attachment 53347
That right there is a great invention. I'd give it a go, but I'm afraid the darn squirrels would have it running non stop and drown my lawn!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello. I live in the woods and have pest problems as well. I have a fence around my backyard though. Have you thought of sprinkling your plants with McCormick Cheyenne pepper powder? Perhaps if your pest tries your plants again, and get's a taste of that heat, it will avoid them! Just a thought.

Ask a Question