Cucumber disease?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Does anyone know what is wrong with my cucumber plants? I thought it may be downy mildew but there is no fuzzy spots on the underside of the leaves. I didn’t notice it this morning but noticed it when I just went out and checked on the garden now. Also is there any way to save the cucumbers?

BD034CBC-562D-48B0-BF78-BD0B2BC116FE.jpeg

420EEDCF-A74A-406C-8FBF-4542A203C1F5.jpeg

F1DE903B-65EE-46EE-B90B-62F385F9FE4D.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is really too early to tell what is wrong. It could be downy mildew. Downy mildew doesn't always have fuzz on the leaf undersides. It hasn't started showing lesions and spots but that could be because it is in early stage. It could also be cucumber mosaic virus, again too early to tell for sure. Perhaps the following link will be of a little help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
One good thing regarding leaves. If marked or damaged or infected. Remove them. Apart from the yellowish markings, your plant appear to be in good health. The usual problems associated with cucumbers albeit mosaics, root rot etc in each case the plants are stunted and soon die. IMO your plants are not victims of any pathalogical problem. Considering the damaged leaves are close to the ground, could it be rain splash and residue from the ground covering. Also the foliage is very heavy at base level. I'd be inclined to remove the offending leaves and let some light and air circulation to the plants. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you very much! I am going to go out and remove those leaves and prune some of the suckers. This is only my second year gardening so I’m still learning.
Both cucumber mosaic and downy mildew are SYSTEMIC diseases. I am not sure if leaf removal at this time is a wise move or not. You really don't know for sure what the problem is. And having a bunch of open wounds on a plant is really not a good idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
As you correctly say Chuck. The markings etc are not fully displayed. Howerver whatever the problem, surely to stop it in it's early stages has to be a good practice. Regarding the open wounds. From the photos, which I congratulate the author. What are there, less than a dozen affected leaves. The wounds or cut surfaces will be minimal, and taking into account the growth structure of the plant/s. Vines seal up very fast.
The usual source of the problems you mention, downy mildew and mosaic etc. Much of the problem is down to weeds and associated plants, often including the 'over closeness' that is why I mentioned the removal of marked leaves, similar to opening-up the crown of a tre or bush, air and light circulation.

No offence intended. I enjoy your comments. You are very knowledgeable. Respected regards.

Ask a Question