Crunchy lettuce

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Everyone! This is my very first post. Here are our Vego gardens (plus Pappy) located in southwestern Ohio.one thing we learned last year was these gardens look like a salad bar to the deer who traipse through here on a daily basis! Hence the chicken run from Wayfair. Anyway, my question for you beautiful gardeners today is, is there a heat tolerant CRUNCHY lettuce I can grow here?
20220516_204423.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The most heat tolerant I have grown are the Butterhead varieties but even they do not tolerate temperatures much above about 85F. I just don't think there is such a thing as you are looking for.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Malabar spinach might be something you would be interested in. Its crunchy and heat tolerant. Looking at your photo, it would fit in your space very nicely growing upright as a vine. Very tasty, very heat tolerant, and needs lots of water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am from England, so I have no experience of heat tolerant plants :) Just posted to say 'Welcome to the forum', and you really do mean it with those deer don't you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not a "crunchy" lettuce but I grow leaf lettuce on a cart that I can move around. I've never grown the crunchy lettuce. In the spring and fall the cart sits in full sun but in the summer I move it to a shaded area in the heat of the day. Works good for leaf lettuce (black seeded simpson, bibb, romaine), but does not really work for bloomsdale spinach because it bolts so fast in the heat. Just something to think about to get the wheels turning.

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Hello, look for the weather (sun), don't forget ab. covering with polymer. Also, retrieve the seeds by 2 weeks after replanting to the ground container. We used by 3 plants containers and didn't remove this. One-use containers replanting lettuce is cutting by hot knife at the down.
Lettuce is not treble for feeding, but don't forget ab. micro-elemental base.
Winter option is better with watered heating.

Last edited:

Ask a Question