Crown of Thorns

Reaction score
Help! The leaves of my crown of thorns plants are turning yellow and are falling off. Is this typical for the winter season? I have just started growing these after receiving two plants from a friend who is helping me landscape my new home. They were thriving when I first received them and everyone who saw them did not suspect that I was a novice gardner.

Reaction score
Although it would help to know whether you are growing your Crown of Thorns plants indoors or outdoors - as well as what type of climate you have - I can very definitely say that no - it is not normal for the leaves of these plants to turn yellow and fall off - but not to worry as the reason for this happening is generally only one of two things and both are easily rectifiable.

" Euphorbia Milii " or Crown of Thorns are in general very easy to grow - however even though they are considered to be one of the toughest plants around as they can withstand all kinds of extreme conditions - that doesn't mean that they will always look there best when experiencing those extremes.

As although these are technically a succulent plant - they actually prefer slightly more tropical growing conditions - meaning that although they can withstand long hours of intense sunlight - they actually prefer some light afternoon shade - as well as - very well drained gritty loam based moisture retentive soil - which during the growing season needs to be kept very slightly moist - but saying that - although they are fairly flexible in terms of water requirements - they are at their best if the surface soil is allowed to dry out between waterings and are best kept on the dry side during the winter months - while the plant is dormant.

They also fairly temperamental in that they resent having their environment changed - meaning that the leaves of newly purchased plant may turn yellow and drop during the time it is adjusting to its new home - they do however - providing the growing environment is correct - re-appear once the plant has settled in and got used to its new environment.

So in answer to your question - if you are doing all of the above - the reason for the leaves turning yellow and falling off would be because your plants are adjusting to their new environment - if not then you may need to either adjust the watering or consider moving our plants to another area more suited to their growing requirements :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Can someone tell me where to get a crown of thorns? I had a huge one and it dried out while I was recouping from the car crash. I am so sad about that because I got that plant from my grand father when he passed away. It was huge and it cascaded so nice. I grew it from one little almost dead leaf. Yes mine would brown and drop leaves in the winter, don't worry about that, water a bit less in the winter and when it warms more, it will fill out again. I never clipped mine back, although my dog did it for me on occasion.

I wonder if I just started watering it again if it would grow?

Okay wait a minute, I just googled the crown of thorns and that is not what I had, mine was like a green cascading succulent. I am certain I was told it was called crown of thorns, now I wonder what it was, no wonder I have a hard time finding things.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I thought that was a type of Starfish? :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
Help! The leaves of my crown of thorns plants are turning yellow and are falling off. Is this typical for the winter season? I have just started growing these after receiving two plants from a friend who is helping me landscape my new home. They were thriving when I first received them and everyone who saw them did not suspect that I was a novice gardner.

Crown of Thorns Plant (Euphorbia Milii) Indoor Care Guide

Mealybugs, scale insects, thrips, and spider mites are the most common pests of the Crown of Thorns plant. They can inhibit its growth, damage it, and even cause it to die. Use horticultural oils if the problem isn’t severe; insecticide if it is.

The Crown of Thorns Plant (Euphorbia milii) is a broadleaf evergreen semi-succulent shrub and a member of a large Euphorbia genus. It is native to Madagascar and grows in tropical climates worldwide. It’s quite popular as a houseplant since it requires little care and thrives indoors.
Euphorbia milii is a hardy plant. It can survive extremely unfavorable conditions and still come out looking lush and colorful.
You can propagate Euphorbia milii from tip cuttings but let sap dry before placing the cutting in a growing medium.
  1. Cut the apex of a healthy stem with a lush crown of bracts.
  2. Remove the bottom leaves and insert the stem into moist soil (after waiting for the sap to dry).
  3. Keep the soil moist and place the container somewhere sunny and warm.
  4. The plant will grow roots and new shoots from the cut end of the stem.

Comprehensive video guide on how to take care

Ask a Question