Crab apples

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I was growing up we had a crab apple tree in our yard and my friends and I would have contests to see who could eat the most tiny apples. They are very bitter to eat plain. Does anyone make anything out of crab apples?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are all kinds of things to make with crab apples. Jellys, jams, pies, butter etc. and my favorite crab apple liqueur. Treat crab apple just as you would hard pears in some reciepies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks. I wondered if there was anything you could actually do with them. I just remembered them when thinking back to being a kid. I haven't even heard anything about these little apples in such a long time. I am going to do some research to see where I can find some as I don't even know anyone who grows them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never eaten crab apples.
I've just looked for some pictures of them and I must say they look really adorable!:D

Reaction score
We had a crab apple tree in our yard when I was younger too. I had a brother who loved eating them raw! My mouth is puckering just thinking about it. I would suggest making a jam out of them too. A little sugar to balance things out and you'll be all set.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the timely reminder :) Loads of them in the picnic area just off the A35 near here, I can pic a bagload an leave them in the kitchen to annoy Sis :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oooh I think you need a lot of sugar, those things are tart. What fun childhood memories though!

Reaction score
When I was growing up we had a crab apple tree in our yard and my friends and I would have contests to see who could eat the most tiny apples. They are very bitter to eat plain. Does anyone make anything out of crab apples?
I am so happy I signed on this afternoon, this is the second post about something from my childhood! When I was younger we grew up in a home in the country and all the way back in our yard was crab apple trees. I remember going out there all the time with my brothers and friends and having contests on who could throw them the farthest! Just like it was yesterday!
I have never personally used them to make anything but I'm curious to learn what can be done with them. :)
Thank you for jogging my memory !!!

Danyel :)

Reaction score
I don't think i have ever eaten or seen crab apples or might be it's a case that i know it by a different name...this one is new to me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Crab apples are pollinators for most apple trees. You can also can crab apples whole and use them to surround a Thanksgiving turkey or Christmas ham. I have the recipe somewhere if anyone wants it posted. They are very decorative, completely edible without the "pucker", and the syrup is great for poaching pears.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Crab apples are something I have never tried, how weird. I have actually never even heard of them nor seen them in any store.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I've never seen crab apples in a store but once went to a function where they were served as miniature toffee apples. I've since acquired a crab apple tree which I'm planning to grow as a bonsai, but it hasn't produced any fruit yet. If it does, I doubt there will be enough fruit to do anything interesting with them, but I'd love to experiment when that day arrives.

Ask a Question