Cover for raised bed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was thinking of making a cover over the raised beds to keep the rain from disrupting the tiny lettuce seeds. Anyone have any experience with this? like what material to make it out of? thickness of plastic?

Maybe, also to keep the hot sun from shining directly on the seedling until it is established. Something that can be remove easily and move from bed to bed. Looking for ideas

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I get these frames from work that I build my raised beds and planters from. I will just cover one with some 6 mil plastic for a cover and lay it on top.

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (7).jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
It sounds like you want a cold-frame or hoop-house. There are pre-manufactured models and many designs for building your own. The frame can be covered in different materials depending on whether the goal is heat accumulation, frost protection, rain protection, shade, and/or light diffusion. Many designs will allow you to switch out materials for different crops, seasons, or weather conditions. For a rain shelter consider clear or white plastic. You could then drape shade cloth over the plastic for further protection from the sun. Shade clothes are available with different percentages of sun blockage.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I get these frames from work that I build my raised beds and planters from. I will just cover one with some 6 mil plastic for a cover and lay it on top.

View attachment 87817

View attachment 87818
Thanks. I would do that. Just ordered some 6mil from Amazon. Then I can just move it around. If I want some air in, I can put some wood block at each corner to lift it up a lil. I just want something to help get the seeds started and shelter from the rain so the seeds don’t get move around by the heavy rain.
I still got a few more elevated raised beds to put in. Progress so far.

Attachments

• 9B16B9E1-032F-4A43-98A0-932036FAD422.jpeg
    9B16B9E1-032F-4A43-98A0-932036FAD422.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of making a cover over the raised beds to keep the rain from disrupting the tiny lettuce seeds. Anyone have any experience with this? like what material to make it out of? thickness of plastic?

Maybe, also to keep the hot sun from shining directly on the seedling until it is established. Something that can be remove easily and move from bed to bed. Looking for ideas
Rain will do little harm to lettuce seedlings unless you get a monsoon.
As such, it's not worth the bother.

Ask a Question