Cover crop suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve got some raised beds that are worn out, so I’m about to pull all the plants a little early and heavily sow cover crop in them for fall and winter, I’m in zone 7.
Any suggestions? Is it too late for buckwheat? I was leaning towards the Fall mix blend at UF seeds which is clover, vetch, maybe oats, rye, and maybe a couple others mixed in.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Buckwheat is an excellent choice...but it will succumb to the first frost, however. The clovers, vetch, oats etc should survive much longer.

Instead of rye grass, recommend you go with cereal rye e.g. Elbon rye as it has excellent nematode deterrent properties. Has worked for me for many decades.

I also like to throw in turnip seeds and radish seeds in the mix. The turnips especially are cold tolerant, can be eaten bottoms or tops, and great cover for winter. Wise decision to go with cover crops...in fact may be the single best thing you can do to improve garden soils.

Consider a summer cover crop next year with legumes ( such as field peas) in a rotational plan. You will be glad you did!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Buckwheat is an excellent choice...but it will succumb to the first frost, however. The clovers, vetch, oats etc should survive much longer.

Instead of rye grass, recommend you go with cereal rye e.g. Elbon rye as it has excellent nematode deterrent properties. Has worked for me for many decades.

I also like to throw in turnip seeds and radish seeds in the mix. The turnips especially are cold tolerant, can be eaten bottoms or tops, and great cover for winter. Wise decision to go with cover crops...in fact may be the single best thing you can do to improve garden soils.

Consider a summer cover crop next year with legumes ( such as field peas) in a rotational plan. You will be glad you did!
Thank you!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States

I think I’m going to try to get a round of buckwheat in with the fall mix, so there is some more cold hardy stuff mixed in.

Any issues you know of with combining the two?

Ask a Question