Cover crop question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I am in zone seven and we are in the middle of a pretty horrific drought spell, I haven’t had rain here and almost 30 days. I had planned to do two rounds of cover crop in some areas of my garden, I was going to do a quick buckwheat round and then till that in and sow a fall crop mix that was a little more frost hearty. But my time is ticking away now, the heat is breaking this weekend and I plant to start sowing seed and watering like crazy, and I am wondering if I could mix the two seed and sow them together? Will the buckwheat that is killed in a frost affect the other crops that are in the fall crop mix? I’d really like to get both in but I just don’t think I’m going to end up having time for two rounds even though the buckwheat is short.

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, you can plant them all together mixed and it will be fine. The buckwheat will just die in place at frost and won't hurt anything but add organic matter when you till it all under together.

Ask a Question