Council Tax

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Just got the advice, a 6.5% increase.

A few weeks ago got my notice of State Pension Increase. 3%. (for all it's worth).

Something's not right there.....

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Just got the advice, a 6.5% increase.

A few weeks ago got my notice of State Pension Increase. 3%. (for all it's worth).

Something's not right there.....

Complain to the media. The council chiefs earn a lot of money and council staff have generous pensions. Some council leaders earn more, almost 3 times, the PM's wages. Same for some academies' heads. There is something very wrong with those heading universities and those called CEOs. May wanted to do something, but with entrenched mentality and greed, she's going nowhere. Hence all the university students want Corbyn in and who can blame them? Not that I endorse any of these tribes and opportunists who throw statistics at us whenever asked questions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Not a single journalist can help, they work for advertising dollars and therefore have sensitive incomes. Over here media have even aligned themselves on a party basis because of the way the money flows. What you should do is leave. Let them starve. What I mean is that the number one cause of poverty is not being able to leave when one need to go.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Not a single journalist can help, they work for advertising dollars and therefore have sensitive incomes. Over here media have even aligned themselves on a party basis because of the way the money flows. What you should do is leave. Let them starve. What I mean is that the number one cause of poverty is not being able to leave when one need to go.

It's sad that people are tribal rather cerebral. Such stupid mentality is no different to those who say I kill these people following orders from power that be. We all know some powers that be are giving credibility by appeasers/bankrupt talkshops who need their oil, gas and dirty money and whatnots.

Last night, I was catching up with the film, In order of disappearance, in which a man says snow causes welfare states. He says if you are hungry in say, Thailand, you just go and get a banana and problem solved, No welfare states. He might have over-simplified it, but somehow it has a true ring to it.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Bron and I received our council tax rip off demand yesterday and we paid the lot in one go; I can't stand being tormented by this rip off for ten months each year; better to be ripped off once and get it out of the way.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Colin: I usually pay my one-off as it saves a bit money. This time, I may let it row out as I want to move. Gawd helps me! If you can pay it one off, you can save £10 and let's put it that way, you don't earn that much interest with your council tax due.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've no incentive from our greedy council to pay the council tax in a lump sum alp but as you say the interest rates no longer encourage saving. Paying the council tax ranks about as enjoyable as watching the BBC News.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If there is no incentive, I would pay it monthly. Shame it's not the same here. That's the bonus of living in the SE or east of London! Should send a twitter to the council and ask how much the leaders of the council are earning. You will be in for a very nasty surprise. One take in nearly half a million.

3F2376E700000578-0-image-a-51_1491861396065.jpg

Sunderland City Council Chief Executive Dave Smith earns an annual income of £625,570

And the good souls of Sunderland allow it to happen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
There is no incentive to pay my council tax in one go as there's no credit charge for paying monthly. It's collected in ten monthly direct debits. So we get two "free months" at the beginning of each year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sunderland City Council Chief Executive Dave Smith earns an annual income of £625,570

That's not quite right... his annual salary was £108k but his employment was terminated early, so they had to pay him off. He wasn't paid £625k each year, but I agree it's a disgraceful amount of money for someone who did such a poor job.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's not quite right... his annual salary was £108k but his employment was terminated early, so they had to pay him off. He wasn't paid £625k each year, but I agree it's a disgraceful amount of money for someone who did such a poor job.

Thank you for clarifying the situation. I blame the DM! There's another one in Waltham Forest who earns a lot as well. It's like those running universities having a party with taxpayers' money. Government tells them TO EXERCISE RESTRAINTS. They are not exactly going to listen, are they?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Councillors' "expenses" have gone up by leaps and bounds over the last twenty years. It used to be a "civic duty," to be a councillor, now it's, "a nice little earner."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It is also the case, here in the UK, that MSM is campaigning against the "triple lock" system, which gives pensioners such "generous" rises. :mad:

Ask a Question