Could someone identify these please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone,
First time poster and extreme noobie gardener. I've got these two plants growing in a border and in a pot in my garden and I have no idea what they are.

Could someone please help me identify them?

WP_20150527_005.jpg
WP_20150527_006.jpg

Thanking you all kindly

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the group. I don't know the name of the plant but I do think I have seen it. When the bud opens we maybe able to tell more.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Aye, the potted one does look about to flower and it has for about 6 weeks
They are both driving me mad, I planted a load of different fruit and veg seeds in pots last year from melon seeds to pepper seeds and would love to know if it's one those or if it's just some mad weed I haven't seen before.
It'll certainly teach me to label my pots

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
They are both driving me mad, I planted a load of different fruit and veg seeds in pots last year from melon seeds to pepper seeds and would love to know if it's one those or if it's just some mad weed I haven't seen before.
Labeling is so important. I keep doing cuttings with the propagating stuff and I'm sure I'll remember what they are if I don't label but I don't. I've actually done it again today. Tomorrow morning first thing going to label my purple salvia cuttings.. I originally got it from my 80 year old neighbor who has moved away so it really is important....Ally's Purple Salvia... We spent a lot of time chatting over the fence and Ally loved any bark which came down with the wind. I loved that and now have a lot of bark to contend with. I'd just toss it over the fence and low and behold I'd have a tidy yard. Inspiring neighbor. If I find the garden a bit overwhelming at times I think of Ally at 80 on her ride on mower and I know I can keep on gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

I have quite a few flowering and pretty "weeds" that I let grow wild in parts of my side yard. Anything with abundant seed heads, flowers, or just interesting foliage - for the pollinators, the birds and because I think they're pretty. :) And as anyone seeing my yard would attest, I don't go for the carefully manicured look! I like that there's an abundance of native flora around me. The guy who mows my property grumbles a bit because I put little markers next to the things I want him to mow around. The back part of the side yard is a tangle of blackberry and raspberry bushes, giant burdock, phlox, datura, some wild orchids and other things I have yet to identify. And along one side there are masses of small wood lilies.

I've found this site very useful in indentifying native plants:
https://uswildflowers.com/wfquery.php?State=MI

Maybe you can find something similar for your area of the UK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ooh, the potted one is finally starting to flower. Little yellow flowers are just popping out. It looks suspiciously like a "Yellow Herald Foxglove" :)
I'll post some pics once it's fully flowered...

Ask a Question