Couch Weed Persistent Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to eradicate couch weed from my lawn. Last year, I dug up many areas and reseeded. This was painful. I was hoping I had succeeded in resolving the issue but this year it came back with a vengeance. So I tried to find some kind of week control in the UK that kills couch grass but not proper grass. Not possible. I did find something that will control it to an extent but it always grows back. So I have decided to dig up whole lawn and returf.
However, this is not an easy decision. I am still concerned it may grow back.
I found someone to do the job and he will dig up my lawn down by about 6 inches and remove old soil. Place sand and top soil and level off before laying turf. My question is as follows. There are some sites on line which recommend lawn membrane either under the top soil or before laying the turf. I am reticent to do this as will the grass be able to bury itself deep into the ground to get water in hot summer months? Won’t the membrane compact the soil?
I am thinking that perhaps I should just try using cardboard before the soil to help stop the rhizomes of couch weed coming up through the soil?
I imagine it will be impossible to remove ALL RHIZOMES even if my gardener digs down 6 inches or so?
Any advice would be welcome.
thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums @Sunshine03 :)

We are having a similar problem here with a big patch of bindweed on one of the new flower beds. We decided that the easiest way to deal with it was to use Glyphosate systemic herbicide (NOT a common practice here ). This area has been left bare, and as the weed is hard to eliminate we have now administered the herbicide three times at approximate 2 weekly intervals. It looks as if it is beginning to yellow, but digging is out of the question yet, as breaking those rhizomes could possibly kick start it again. Now we will wait - however long it takes.
Patience is a virtue :rolleyes: Hopefully. In the meantime there are umpteen other jobs to get on with.

PS... I think you are right about not using weed membrane, and it`s a bad idea to compact the soil as you say.

Ask a Question