cotton-less cottonwood

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a big cotton-less cotton wood on my property and I want to grow some more. How do you get the seed pods to sprout?

Reaction score
Country
United States
You don't want a cotton-seed producing Cotton Wood tree in your yard because of the damage they do to air conditioner units and filter systems. So I recommend you take cuttings from your tree and root them.

Here's what Google says.
Cuttings from cottonwood and willow trees are able to sprout roots and leaves easy. Small cuttings of new growth, called whips, or larger cuttings from older wood, called poles, can be planted in the soil. Once planted, these cuttings can quickly turn into trees.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The deciduous trees known as Cottonwoods (Populus spp.), in the Willow Family (Salicaceae) are dioecious species. That is to say, male and female flowers are on separate plants. Trees sold as "cotton-less" Cottonwoods are male cultivars that will not produce fruits, seeds or the white, fluffy seed-hairs that give Cottonwoods their name.
Well-known "cotton-less" Cottonwood cultivars include Siouxland Eastern Cottonwood (Populus deltoides 'Siouxland')
and Robusta Canadian Poplar (Populus x canadensis 'Robusta'),
but there are other cultivars as well as innumerable unnamed seedlings that are also "cottonless".

Ask a Question