Corn processing

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The first corn planting is ready for processing and the squirrels knew it first.

We eat as much as we possibly can fresh picked and give away a lot and also freeze what we have room for....but the squirrels take a measure and the cows clean it all up.

corn for freezing.JPG

My freezing method is simple...first put on a big pot of water to boil, harvest and clean the corn quickly bringing it in to the boiling water. Blanch for about 45 seconds, Then using the tool shown below strip the kernels from the cob and place them in serving size plastic bags for the freezer. Takes no more than 15 seconds per ear with this great tool. I only do about a dozen at a time to insure the fastest possible trip to the boiling water to preserve sweetness/freshness.

corn tool.JPG

All told the first planting will have approximately 10-12 dozen ears, some of which will go to the squirrels and any bug eaten or past ripe will go straight to the cows...who line up in wait for the treat. The second and third plantings will be about the same and carry us well into August with fresh corn available on a daily basis.

I do believe garden corn may be the very top veggie to grow for taste over the commercial stuff. Fresh it is almost indescribably delicious.

cowscorn.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I grow corn I don't do anything to it. Just stick the ears, silk, shuck and all into a freezer bag and freeze. It lasts a long time and stays fresh. I agree, fresh corn is nothing like store bought "fresh corn". I think it has to be frozen or processed very quickly to stay this tasty. There is no telling how many days have passed since the store bought corn on the cob was picked.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Where did you get the kernel stripping tool? Also what is it called?

My method amongst others.
Nixtamalized Corn Slurry
Posted on August 6, 2015 by Durgan
http://www.durgan.org/2015/August 2015/6 August 2015 Nixtamalized Corn Slurry/HTML/HTML/ 6 August 2015 Nixtamalized Corn Slurry
About one liter of Dent field corn was nixtamalized for 72 hours in calcium hydroxide, then processed into a slurry for drinking or eating as as cereal.The nixtamalizing process releases nutrients which aids body absorption. This makes a cheap nutritional home cereal, gluten free and N.A. is full of fields of corn.The field corn is available in kernel form as bird feed.I buy the dried cobs, grow some Indian Corn, and process at home.The end product is not much different than processing sweet corn, except for the nixtamalization process.
The process was to boil the nixtamalized corn, blend into a slurry, store in liter jars, pressure can at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature.
dsc_77996%20august%202015%20nixtamalized%20corn%20slurry_std.jpg

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Where did you get the kernel stripping tool? Also what is it called?

It's called the "OXO Good Grips Corn Prep Peeler " and came to my doorstep from Amazon.

This isn't dent corn aka field corn....and it isn't your momas corn, LOL. This is a relatively new triple sweet corn variety that actually contains TWO kernel types, selected and reselected to create an ear that is 75% sugary-enhanced and 25% supersweet. It has a taste that is simply unequaled by any other corn grown anywhere. No way would I loose that superior taste to hominy...that would be foolish indeed. I've been growing it for several years now and would not even consider growing any of the old varieties.

Hominy certainly has its place, but triple sweet corn is simply incomparable.

The main reason for immediately blanching after picking is to capture that incomparable taste. Otherwise, not processing will simply enable this fantastic corn to become like hundreds of other varieties of corn that can be bought in stores at 5 ears per $1.

If you have heard of the Olatha corn and think it has superior taste, I challenge anyone to do a direct comparison to a quickly processed triple sweet, organically grown variety....and you will never brag about Olatha again!! It is that good!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Here is a tip regarding the use of the corn prep tool...leave a portion of the main stalk attached to the corn ear for purposes of gripping it while stripping away the corn and then discard to the compost:

corn tool.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Another tip for prospective corn growers: Corn is a heavy feeder. To help rebuild your soil, always rotate....and always return the corn stalks, corn shuckings, and corn cobs to the soil. I like to chop it up some to encourage composting. Then follow that up with a legume cover crop such as field peas and soil is better than before growing the corn, This works!

corn shredded.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Another tip for prospective corn growers: Corn is a heavy feeder. To help rebuild your soil, always rotate....and always return the corn stalks, corn shuckings, and corn cobs to the soil. I like to chop it up some to encourage composting. Then follow that up with a legume cover crop such as field peas and soil is better than before growing the corn, This works!

View attachment 67151
I put the corn stalks through my chipper shredder before laying on the soil. It completely absorbs the stalks.
MTD 463
I had a 10 HP for about 20 years and finally got fed up with starting so bought this on KIJIJI for $600.00. I won't chip wood since I believe it is too hard on the machine. It gets rid of most of my garden waste.

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I prefer more simple, more reliable, and more environmentally friendly approaches, LOL.

My machettes start 100% of the time, do not emit exhausts, and burn estimated 750 calories per hour off the operator. Highly effective in the garden, the yard, and especially in many fence rows on the ranch.
machettes.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I used the machette for years, but now prefer the machine. I worked in the Dominican Republic and they cost almost nothing with a leather case. They were used for cutting sugar cane.

An old farmer told me anything with a handle implies work or expenditure of energy. I am getting to the age where energy is in short demand.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
31 October 2017 Nixtamalization
Posted on October 31, 2017 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2017/October 2017/31 October 2017 Nixtamalization/HTML/ 31 October 2017 Nixtamalization
Nixtamalization is soaking the corn kernels in calcium hydroxide for 24 hours. I use colored Indian corn, since I grow it. About three liters of corn mixed with three large tablespoons of calcium powder. I use Mrs. Wages pickling lime. Bring to a boil then turn down the heat and let soak, stir occasionally for 24 hours. The nixtamalized corn is then dehydrated for storage. It is used as one of the grains for my gruel.
nixtamalization%20031_std.jpg

Ask a Question