Coriander Affects on Herb Container Garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!
I am about to plant an herb garden in a container to sit in my backyard in Texas. I have a 22.5 inch pot and plan to use Chives, Dill, Parsley, Cilantro and Oregano. I will purchase 4-6 inch plants and pot them together.

I am curious as to how the Cilantro plant will affect the pot after the seeds start to fall from the plant. If it is potted next to another herb and the Coriander seeds fall from the plant, will they cross-pollinate onto my other herbs?

Is there a way for me to capture the seeds before they disrupt the other plants? And/or, what is the best way to use those coriander seeds to start a new plant after the cilantro blooms and dies?

Any other advice or suggestions pertaining to the combination is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Kelli

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello! That seems like an awful lot of herbs for one pot.

I don't believe cilantro will cross-pollinate. I've grown cilantro in the oast because l adore it but even in my climate it bolted so quickly l rarely got to harvest it. In Texas l imagine it would grow so fast you'd have a hard time keeping up!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Beth!
I plan on using a round 22.5 inch pot and keeping the cilantro toward the back-out of the majority of the sun to prevent the bolt and flower so I can use the leaves to make my famous salsa!

Because it is only a 2 year plant at best- Should I opt to plant it by itself in its own container to avoid disruption of my perennials?

Glad to know the seeds wont disrupt my other herbs!

Appreciate your advice!
Kelli

Ask a Question