Cordon Apple Tree advice, please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a gift, I have been given three, bare rooted, cordon apple trees. One bramley (cooker) and two eating apple.
I know that now is the time to get them into the ground, but I haven't prepared an area yet and that is unlikely in the very near future.
Could I plant them (upright) in a pot for this year and then transplant them to their final growing position next Autumn?
In the same vein: do they have to be planted at a 45 degree angle or could they be planted upright in their final position?
I don't have a large garden so these will form my miniature orchard and I want to get it right (if I can).
Hopefully that is all the information needed.
Thank you for any and all advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Growing fruit on cordons is not new. It was a much favoured method in the Victorian walled garden.
So you have the plants but you need to prepare a site for them. Not to worry. YES, plant them up for now in containers or pots, depending upon the size of the roots, I'd use 15Ltr pots. Use a good compost and firm it down as you fill the pot. Remember to keep the graft just above the soil level. Depending upon the size-height of the plant, use discretion whether or not to stake. At least, until the planting site is ready, I'd be inclind to secure against toppling over and damaging. When finally planting out. Plant ouwards from the wall or trellis by about 18 inches. Dig a hole in which to bury the pot/container, a gentle easing to the left and tying will do. Firm in and wait.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you very much for your reply @Mike Allen
I have hens preparing the site for their final planting so your advice about the temporary containers is very useful. By the Autumn the planting site will be ready and I shall be using your additional advice on that as well.

Ask a Question