container greens

Reaction score
Can someone recommend salad greens that would do well in containers; I would like to try my hand at growing my salad this year but only have room for the containers. I do not care for iceberg lettuce but am open to all other greens.

Has anyone done spinach or kale in containers?

Reaction score
Spinach and kale should do well in containers provided that the pots have plenty of room and drainage. Kale isn't too fussy, it will grow during the summer and also thrive during the cooler fall and early winter weather.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Japanese spinach (komatsuna) is excellent and provides more of a crunch than western varieties, and you can grow cut-and-come-again varieties without even the need to thin out.
Pak Choi does well to, as does mizuna, lollo rosso, and later in the season chicory and radicchio.
Beet leaf (perpetual spinach) and rocket do well too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Do you have a pinterest account? Type in the words "salad garden" or "salad container garden" and I'm sure you'll get a lot of ideas on what to grow and what to grow it in. I saw a pin ages ago with lettuce growing out of a small reusable whole foods bag. I've only tried chard so far, but I think a 12 in container should be big enough.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have a pinterest account? Type in the words "salad garden" or "salad container garden" and I'm sure you'll get a lot of ideas on what to grow and what to grow it in. I saw a pin ages ago with lettuce growing out of a small reusable whole foods bag. I've only tried chard so far, but I think a 12 in container should be big enough.
I've grown 6 spinach plants in a 10" pot; 5 approx. 1" from the edge, 1 in the middle.
Haven't tried it, but I suspect it would be easy to grow 1 spinach plant in a 3" pot, if you can keep it watered.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've grown 6 spinach plants in a 10" pot; 5 approx. 1" from the edge, 1 in the middle.
Haven't tried it, but I suspect it would be easy to grow 1 spinach plant in a 3" pot, if you can keep it watered.

Oooh, good to know. My chard is in a planter that has more width than depth, and I was thinking it might need more room since the leaves were not that tall, but maybe I just need to feed the plants? I more or less left it to it's own devices over the winter. I wonder if a boost of epsom salts would do the trick.

Ask a Question